Department of Finance and Real Estate
Additional Positions at AUCrown Prince of Bahrain Chair in International Finance
Affiliate Professor, Department of Economics
Affiliate Professor, Department of Mathematics
- Robin Lumsdaine joined the Kogod School of Business at American University as the Crown Prince of Bahrain Chair in International Finance. She was previously an Associate Director in the Division of Banking Supervision and Regulation and Head of the Quantitative Risk Management Group at the Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System. Before joining the Board, Professor Lumsdaine was a Director in the Global Markets Research division of Deutsche Bank where she served as the Global Inflation-Linked Bond Strategist. She has also held positions as Professor of Economics at Brown University, Senior Economist at the President's Council of Economic Advisers, and Assistant Professor at Princeton University.
DegreesPh.D. and M.A. in economics, Harvard University; B.S. in mathematics, Brown University
- KSB - Finance and Real Estate
- Kogod - 43
- by appt
FOR THE MEDIA
To request an interview for a
news story, call AU Communications
at 202-885-5950 or submit a request.
Scholarly, Creative & Professional Activities
Professor Lumsdaine's publication credits include a range of economics and finance journals including Econometrica, Journal of Financial Economics, Review of Economic Studies, Journal of Business and Economic Statistics, Journal of International Money and Finance, Review of Economics and Statistics, the Economic Journal, and others.
- "How Survey Design Affects Self-Assessed Health Responses in the Survey of Health, Ageing, and Retirement in Europe (SHARE)," European Economic Review, forthcoming [with Anneke Exterkate].
- "Why Systemic Risk Considerations Affect the Market for Long-Term Care Insurance," The Economists' Voice: Vol. 8: Iss. 3, Article 3, October 2011.
Professor Lumsdaine's research has also been featured in the following articles:
Kogod Now, Fall 2011. "Aging & Health Care." View article
Work In Progress
- Wall Street vs. Main Street: An Evaluation of Probabilities, NBER working paper #19103 [with Rogier J.D. Potter van Loon].
- The Relationship between Oil Prices and Breakeven Inflation Rates
- What the Market Watched: Bloomberg News Stories and Bank Returns as the Financial Crisis Unfolded
International Finance, Econometrics, Banking Regulation, Pensions, ALM, Fixed Income
- March 2013 NY Times interview, Watch now
- Quoted in US News and World Report, January 2013
- Quoted in Law360, January 2013
- Quoted in Christian Science Monitor, May 2012
- Quoted in American Banker, April 2012
- "Is What’s Good for MetLife Good for Us All?," October 2011 American Banker Op-Ed
- September 2011 NPR Morning Edition radio interview on the European debt crisis, Listen now
- June 2011 Australian Broadcasting Corporation television interview on the US debt ceiling, Listen now
- January 2011 Bloomberg radio interview with Kathleen Hays on The Hays Advantage, Listen now
- Quoted in American Banker, February 2010
- June 2010 C-SPAN radio interview, Listen now
Area of Expertise: global financial markets, recent financial crisis, sovereign debt, volatility, banking, financial regulation, Basel II and capital requirements, risk management, stress testing, asset management, fixed income, Treasury securities, inflation-linked bonds (e.g.,TIPS), GSEs, inflation/stagflation/deflation, aging, retirement income, retirement planning, pensions, Social Security, healthcare, Medicare, eldercare (caregiving for the elderly), statistical modeling
Additional Information: Robin Lumsdaine joined Kogod from the Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System, where she was an associate director in the Division of Banking Supervision and Regulation and Head of Quantitative Risk Management. She is also a research associate of the National Bureau of Economic Research and a senior fellow of the Center for Financial Stability. Earlier in her career, Lumsdaine was a director at Deutsche Bank, a professor at Brown University, and an assistant professor at Princeton University. She has also served as a senior economist for the White House Council of Economic Advisers. In addition, she has been an associate editor for the Journal of Business and Economic Statistics, and a National Fellow at the Hoover Institution, Stanford University.
To request an interview please call AU Media Relations at 202-885-5950 or submit an interview request form.
AU News and Achievements
Is the Market for Private Long-Term Care Insurance in Danger?
Professor Robin Lumsdaine explains the forces behind MetLife's exit from the private long-term care ...
Research Determines Media Coverage Affected Banks' Stock Performance During Financial Crisis
Lumsdaine, the Crown Prince of Bahrain Professor of International Finance, compared readership statistics ...
Professors: $700 Billion Isn’t Just a Needed Bailout. It’s a Smart Buy.
In current financial crisis there’s plenty of blame to go around, but finger pointing is not a solution....