Distinguished Scholar in Residence
Department of Public Administration and Policy
Additional Positions at AUScholar in Residence
- Dr. Marshak has taught organization dynamics and change leadership in SPA since 1977. His areas of expertise include: organizational change and development, organizational discourse, and organization theory and behavior. Dr. Marshak has served on the Boards of NTL Institute and the Organization Development Network, and was Acting Editor of the Journal of Applied Behavioral Science. He received the OD Network’s Lifetime Achievement Award, and is the author of over 85 publications on consulting and change. Dr. Marshak also held senior executive level positions in policy and management analysis in the US Government.
DegreesPh.D. Public Administration, American University
M.P.A Public Administration, American University
B.A., Political Science, Duke University
- DOWNLOAD CV (PDF)
Scholarly, Creative & Professional Activities
- Bushe, G. R., & Marshak, R. J. (Eds.)(2015). Dialogic Organization Development: The Theory and Practice of Transformational Change. Oakland, CA: Berrett-Koehler Publishers.
- Marshak, R. J. (2009) Organizational Change: Views from the Edge. Bethel, ME: The Lewin Center.
- Bushe, G. R., & Marshak, R. J. (2009) “Revisioning Organization Development: Diagnostic and Dialogic Premises and Patterns of Practice,” Journal of Applied Behavioral Science, Vol. 45, No. 3.
- Marshak, R. J., & Grant, D. (2008) “Organizational Discourse and New Organization Development Practices,” British Journal of Management, Vol. 19, pp.S7-S19.
- Marshak, R. J. (2006) Covert Processes at Work: Managing the Five Hidden Dimensions of Organizational Change. San Francisco: Berrett-Koehler Publishers.
Marshak, R.J. (2015) “Thoughts on Transformational Change in Government Systems.” Presentation for British Civil Service Organisation Development and Design Summit Conference, London, January 27, 2015.
- Marshak, R. J. (2013) “Covert Processes: Exploring the Hidden Barriers to Organizational Change.” Invited one-week seminar, Cape Cod Institute, Eastham, MA, July 29-August 2, 2013.
- Marshak, R. J. (2011) “Organization Development in the USA: Past, Present, Future.” Keynote presentation for the Organization Development Network-Japan Conference, Tokyo, Japan, January 31, 2011.
- Marshak, R. J. (2010). "Organization Development Approaches to Change." Invited presentation to members of the British Civil Service at the National School of Government, London, UK March 29, 2010.
- Marshak, R. J. (2010). “OD Morphogenesis: New Premises, Permutations and Possibilities.” Keynote Address, NTL Conference on the New OD, National Labor College, MD, March 19, 2010.
- Marshak, R. J. (2010). “The Hidden Dimensions of Organizational Change.” Guest Speaker, Change Management Distinguished Speaker Series, McDonough School of Business, Georgetown University, March 17, 2010.
- Marshak, R. J. "Organization Development and Post Confucian Countries." Invited lecture at University of Pennsylvania, 2009.
- Marshak, R. J. “The Hidden Barriers to Organizational Change.” Invited lecture at the Graduate School of Global Human Resource Development, Chung Ang University, Seoul, Korea, 2008.
- Marshak, R. J. “The Power of Conceptual Metaphors to Shape Organization Strategy and Change.” Keynote address for the Metaphor in Strategy and Organization Workshop, Warwick Business School, University of Warwick, Coventry, England, 2008.
Honors, Awards, and Fellowships
- Douglas McGregor Memorial Award for "Revisioning Organization Development: Diagnostic and Dialogic Premises and Patterns of Practice," with G. R. Bushe, Journal of Applied Behavioral Science, Best Article of 2009.
- Best Paper Award for “A Discourse-based Theory of Organizational Change.” With D. Grant., OD&C Division, Academy of Management, 2009
- Visiting Fellowship awarded by the Institute of Advanced Study, University of Warwick, Coventry, England, May 2008
- University Faculty Award for Outstanding Teaching in an Adjunct Appointment, American University, 2001
- Lifetime Achievement Award, Organization Development Network, 2000
Area of Expertise: Organizational change, change leadership, covert processes in organizations, how language (talk) influences change
Additional Information: Robert J. Marshak has more than 35 years of experience consulting with public and private corporations globally and is the author of Organizational Change: Views from the Edge (the Lewin Center, 2009) and Covert Processes at Work: Managing the Five Hidden Dimensions of Organizational Change (Berrett-Koehler Publishers, 2006).
To request an interview please call AU Media Relations at 202-885-5950 or submit an interview request form.
AU News and Achievements
MSOD Hosts Professor Marshak for Discussion on New Book
On June 27th, AU SPA Professor and author Robert Marshak joined a group of students, faculty and alumni ...