Department of Economics
- Professor Starr's research interests are consumption, saving, wealth, healthcare, antitrust, macroeconomics, monetary policy, and social economics.
DegreesPhD, Economics, Boston University
BA, with the First Class Honours, Mc Gill University
Scholarly, Creative & Professional Activities
- American University, 2002-present
- Visiting senior economist, Greylock McKinnon Associates, Cambridge, MA (healthcare litigation consulting), Jan.-Dec. 2013
- Senior economist, Federal Reserve Board of Governors, 1992-2001
- World Bank
- U.S. Agency for International Development, Niger, West Africa
Service to the profession
- Past president, Association for Social Economics
- Director, International Confederation of Associations for Pluralism in Economics (ICAPE)
- Advisory board, Federal Reserve Bank of Boston, Survey of Consumer Payments Choice
“Using differences-in-differences to estimate damages in healthcare antitrust: A case study of Marshfield Clinic” (with Forrest McCluer), International Journal of the Business of Economics, Vol. 20, No. 3 (Dec. 2013), pp. 447-469. “Gender and the 2007-09 recession: Looking within the household,” Review of Economics of the Household, forthcoming. “Qualitative and mixed-methods research in economics,” Journal of Economic Surveys, forthcoming. “Consumption, sentiment, and economic news,” Economic Inquiry, Vol. 50, No. 4 (Oct. 2012), pp. 1097-1111. “Contributions of economists to housing-price bubbles,” Journal of Economic Issues, Vol. 46, No. 1 (March 2012), pp. 143-172.
Consumption, saving, wealth, inequality, household economic behavior
Health economics, healthcare spending, health insurance, antitrust
Macroeconomics, business cycles, recession, Federal Reserve
Area of Expertise: Macroeconomics; consumer spending, saving, and borrowing; household wealth; wealth inequality; Federal Reserve; monetary policy; banking markets; bank runs; social economics; socially responsible investing; ethical consumption; economics of war and peace; emerging market and transition economies
Additional Information: Martha A. Starr has worked for the Federal Reserve Board of Governors, the World Bank, and the U.S. Agency for International Development.
To request an interview please call AU Media Relations at 202-885-5950 or submit an interview request form.