Department of Philosophy and Religion
- Martyn was born and raised in southern Minnesota. In addition to Washington State and Boston, his studies also took him to Scotland, Lebanon, Austria, and Morocco. His work explores the construction of religious identity, particularly how Western literature depicts Islam and Muslims. His current research addresses how the development of the academic study of religion was influenced by culture.
DegreesPhD, Boston University; BA, University of Puget Sound
Languages Spoken:Arabic, French, German (basic reading and conversation)
- CAS - Philosophy and Religion
- Battelle Tompkins - 1st Floor
- Sports Center Annex 160 (not Battelle): Tuesdays 12-5, Fridays 12-1, and by appointment
FOR THE MEDIA
To request an interview for a
news story, call AU Communications
at 202-885-5950 or submit a request.
- RELG-210 Non-Western Religious Traditns