School of Education, Teaching and Health
- Dr. Vasquez is a Professor of Education at American University. Her research interests are in critical literacy, early literacy and information communication technology. Her publications include eight books and numerous book chapters and articles in refereed journals. Prior to coming to AU, Dr. Vasquez taught pre-school and public school for fourteen years. Since then she has held appointive and elective offices in scholarly organizations including The National Council of Teachers of English, The American Educational Research Association, The International Reading Association and The Whole Language Umbrella. Dr. Vasquez holds the distinction of being the only scholar to have received both the James N. Britton Award (2005) and the AERA Division B Outstanding Book of the Year Award (2006). Both awards were for her book Negotiating Critical Literacies with Young Children. She was also the first recipient of the AERA Teacher Research SIG Dissertation Award (2004). Dr. Vasquez is host of the CLIP(critical literacy in practice) Podcast located at www.clippodcast.com
DegreesEdD, Language Education, Indiana University, Blomington
MA, Literacy, Mount Saint Vincent University
BEd, Lakehead University
BEd, York University
BSc University of Toronto
- DOWNLOAD FULL BIO (PDF)
- DOWNLOAD CV (PDF)
- CAS - Education/Teaching/Health
- Gray - 220
FOR THE MEDIA
To request an interview for a
news story, call AU Communications
at 202-885-5950 or submit a request.
Scholarly, Creative & Professional Activities
- Vasquez, V., Tate, S., and Harste, J.C. (2013). Negotiating Critical Literacies with Pre-Service and In-Service Teachers. New York, N.Y.: Routledge Press.
- Vasquez, V., Wood, J., and Felderman, C. (Editors/Authors) (2013).Perspectives and Provocations in Early Childhood Education Volume 2. Charlotte, N.C.: Information Age Publishine/Early Childhood Education Assembly of NCTE.
- Vasquez, V. and Felderman, C. (2013). Technology and Critical Literacy in Early Childhood. New York, N.Y.: Routledge Press.
- Vasquez, V. and Wood, J. (Editors/Authors) (2012). Perspectives and Provocations in Early Childhood Education Volume I. Charlotte, N.C.: Information Age Publishing/ Early Childhood Education Assembly of NCTE.
- Vasquez, V. (2010). Getting Beyond I LIke the Book: Creating Spaces for Critical Literacy Across the Curriculum. Newark, DE: IRA. Selected as International Reading Association Book of the Month for November 2009.
- Vasquez, V., Egawa, K., with Harste, J.C. and Thompson, R. (Eds.) (2004) Literacy as Social Practice: Relocating Your Reading and Language Arts Curriculum. Urbana, IL: National Council of Teachers of English.
- Vasquez, V. (2004). Negotiating Critical Literacies with Young Children. Mahwah, N.J.: Routledge. *2006 AERA DivB Outstanding Book of the Year *2005 NCTE James Britton Award *2004 AERA Teacher as Researcher SIG Diss Award
- Vasquez, V. , with Muise, M., Nakai, D, Shear, J., Heffernan, L., Adamson, S. (2003) Getting Beyond I Like the Book: Creating Spaces for Critical Literacy in K-6 Classrooms .Newark, DE: IRA. *Chosen as May 2003 IRA Book of the Month.
SAMPLE ARTICLES AND BOOK CHAPTERS
Albers,P., Harste, J.C. & Vasquez, V. (2012). Interrupting Certainty and Making Trouble: Teachers' Written and Visual Responses to Picturebooks. Dunston, P.J. et al (Eds). 60th Yearbook of the National Reading Conference. Oak Creek, WI: NRC.
Vasquez, V., and Felderman C. (2011). Critical Literacy Goes Digital: Exploring Intersections Between Critical Literacies and New Technologies with Young Children. In Myers, R., and Whitmore K. Reclaiming Reading. Mahwah, N.J.: Routledge.
Vasquez, V. & Harste, J.C. (2010). Kid-watching, Negotiating, and Podcasting: Imagining Literacy Instruction for the 21st Century. In Szabo, S., Morrison, T., Martin, L., & Boggs, M. (Eds). Building Literacy Communities. (pp.17-30)
Vasquez, V., Harste, J., & Albers, P. (2010). From the Personal to the Worldwide Web: Moving Teachers into Positions of Critical Interrogation. In Baker, B. (Ed). The New Literacies Multiple Perspectives on Research and Practice. (pp. 265-284). New York, N.Y.: Peter Lang Publishers.
Vasquez, V. (2010, April). Critical Literacy Isn't Just for Books Anymore. The Reading Teacher, 63(7), 614–616. doi: 10.1598/RT.63.7.11.
Vasquez, V. (2010). iPods, Puppy Dogs, and Podcasts: Imagining Literacy Instruction for the 21st Century. School Talk, 15(2), 1-2.
Vasquez, V. & VanderZanden, S. (2009). Critical Moves in Literacy Education. In Cooper, K. (Ed). Critical Literacies in Action: Social Perspectives and Teaching Practices. (pp. 117-126). New York, N.Y. : Springer Publishing Company.
Vasquez, V. (2007). Doing Critical Literacy with young children: Using the everyday to take up issues of social justice and equity in a pre-kindergarten setting. New England Reading Association Journal.
Vasquez, V. (2005) Resistance, power-tricky, and colorless energy: What Engagement with Everyday Popular Culture Texts Can Teach Us about Learning and Literacy. In Marsh J. (Ed.) Popular Culture, Media and Digital Literacies in Early Childhood. Falmer Press, UK. 15 pages.
Vasquez, V. (2005) Creating Spaces for Critical Literacy with Young Children: Using Everyday Issues and Everyday Print. In Evans, J. (Ed.) Reading Isn’t Just about Books: 21st Century Approaches for 21st Century Children. David Fulton Publishers (UK) and Heinemann (USA) 14 pages.
Harste, J. C., Leland, C., Schmidt, K., Vasquez, V., & Ociepka, A. (January/February 2004). Practice makes practice, or does it? The relationship between theory and practice in teacher education. Reading On-Line, 7:4, 44 pages. Newark, DE: The International Reading Association..
Vasquez, V. and Wong-Kam,J. (Eds.) (2003) Disrupting the Commonplace: Elementary Teachers Researching Critical Literacy.. School Talk.. 8(4). pp.1-8. Urbana, IL: National Council of Teachers of English. 8 pages.
Vasquez, V. and Wong-Kam,J. (Eds.) (2003) Information Communication Technologies in the Primary School Classroom. School Talk.. 8(3). Pp.1-8. Urbana, IL: National Council of Teachers of English. 8 pages.
Vasquez, V. & Hansen, J. (Eds.) (2002). Writing Pictures Painting Stories.School Talk, 7(4), 1-8.
Vasquez, V. & Egawa, K. (Eds.) (2002). Everyday Texts, Everyday Literacies. School Talk, 8(1), 1-8.
Hansen, J. & Vasquez, V. (Eds.) (2002). Reading to Students as Part of Genre Studies. School Talk, 7(3), 1-8.
Vasquez, V. (2001). Critical Literacy: What Is It, and What Does It Look Like in Elementary Classrooms. School Talk, 6(3), 1-8.
Vasquez, V. (2001). Creating a Critical Literacy Curriculum with Young Children. Phi Delta Kappa Research Bulletin, 45(3), 1-4.
Vasquez, V. (2000). Language Stories and Critical Literacy Lessons. Talking Points, 11(2), 5-8.
Vasquez, V. (2000). Our Way: Using the Everyday to Create a Critical Literacy Curriculum. Primary Voices, 9(2), 8-13.
Vasquez, V. (2000). Building Community Through Social Action. School Talk, 5(4), 2-4. 3 pages.
Vasquez, V. (2000). Frameworks for Locating Teaching Practice: Theoretical and Pedagogical Intersections. The Fourth R, 11-12.
Vasquez, V. (2000). Getting Beyond I Like the Book: Putting a Critical Edge on Kids’ Purposes for Reading. School Talk, 5(2), 2-3.
Honors, Awards, and Fellowships
Canada’s Literacy Volunteer Award (1991)
Doreen Brady Memorial Scholarship from the Ontario Educational Council of Teachers Association (1997)
First Recipient of the Indiana University Armstrong Scholarship, Bloomington, Indiana (1997-1998)
Indiana University Armstrong Scholarship, Bloomington, Indiana (1998-1999)
American Educational Association Teacher as Researcher SIG Dissertation Award (May 2004)
James N. Britton Award for my book Negotiating Critical Literacies with Young Children (2005)
American Educational Research Association Division B Outstanding Book of the Year Award for Negotiating Critical Literacies with Young Children (2006)
National Council of Teachers of English Early Childhood Education Assembly: Voted as Chair in Fall 2008.
National Council of Teachers of English : Appointed as Literacy Task Force Chair (Spring 2009)