School of International Service
Additional Positions at AUDirector, Summer Abroad in Israel Program
SIS Thematic Area Coordinator, Foreign Policy and National Security
Faculty Affiliate, Center for Israel Studies
- Dr. Guy Ziv is an assistant professor in the School of International Service's U.S. Foreign Policy Program. He teaches a variety of undergraduate and graduate courses on U.S. foreign policy, the Middle East, and international negotiations. His current research focuses on foreign policy decision-making, the influence of think tanks in U.S. foreign policy, and the role of political elites in the Arab-Israeli conflict. His written works on the impact of Israel’s nuclear policy on U.S.-Israel relations; Israel’s strategic partnership with France in the 1950s; learning in foreign policy; and the role of leaders’ personalities in foreign policy change have been published in peer-reviewed, scholarly journals. His op-eds have appeared in both American and Israeli newspapers, such as The Baltimore Sun, Haaretz, The Jerusalem Post, Newsday, USA Today, and Ynet News, and he writes a blog for the Huffington Post. He also has been quoted in major media outlets including U.S. News & World Report, USA Today, and Al Jazeera. Dr. Ziv has a background in policy, having worked at the U.S. Department of State, on Capitol Hill, and for leading non-profit organizations that promote American involvement in Israeli-Palestinian peacemaking.
DegreesPh.D, Government and Politics, University of Maryland; MA, Government and Politics, University of Maryland; MA, International Relations, University of Southern California; BA, Political Science, University of California at Irvine
- SIS-School of Intl Service
- East Quad Bldg - 100B
FOR THE MEDIA
To request an interview for a
news story, call AU Communications
at 202-885-5950 or submit a request.
Scholarly, Creative & Professional Activities
- "The Triumph of Agency Over Structure: Shimon Peres and the Israeli Nuclear Program," International Negotiation (Forthcoming).
- Why Hawks Become Doves: Shimon Peres and Foreign Policy Change in Israel, SUNY Press (December 2014).
- "Simple vs. Complex Learning Revisited: Israeli Prime Ministers and the Question of a Palestinian State," Foreign Policy Analysis, Vol. 9, No. 2 (April 2013): 203-222.
- "Cognitive Structure and Foreign Policy Change: Israel's Decision to Talk to the PLO," International Relations, Vol. 25, No. 4 (December 2011): 426-454.
- Readings in U.S. Foreign Policy, Revised First Edition (Dubuque, IA: Kendall Hunt Publishing, 2011).
- "Shimon Peres and the French-Israeli Alliance, 1954-1959," Journal of Contemporary History, Vol. 45, No. 2 (April 2010): 406-429.
- "To Disclose or Not to Disclose: The Impact of Nuclear Ambiguity on Israeli Security," Israel Studies Forum, Vol. 22, No. 2 (Winter 2007): 76-94.
Honors, Awards, and Fellowships
SIS Outstanding Teaching Award, 2014
Founder and Director, Israel National Security Project (INSP).