Chief Information Security Officer
- Cathy works in the Office of Information Technology, developing, implementing and maintaining the University's information technology security program to safeguard new and existing technologies and services.She contributes to university-wide information security awareness and education programs and is responsible for the development of information security policies, procedures and security standards. She works with internal and external auditors to ensure AU's information technology resources are compliant with applicable, policies, laws, and regulations and coordinates the investigation of technology security incidents.
DegreesMEd, George Mason University
Favorite Spot on Campus:Ilene Zatkin-Butler Garden
Partnerships & Affiliations
Director for Scholarship & Campus Relations
Editor: The Security Guide: Risk Managment Section
Scholarly, Creative & Professional Activities
Technology Managers Forum's Best Practices in Information Security, 2009
- Graduate, FRYE Leadership Institute, 2009
- Certified in the Governance of Enterprise IT, 2009
- Certified Information Systems Auditor, 2006
- Certified Information Systems Security Professional, 2005
Alternative IT Sourcing: A Discussion of Privacy, Security, and Risk, EDUCAUSE Review 2011
- Business Continuity Planning. University Business, 2006.
- Information Technology Trends and Implications for Privacy, Security, and Risk Managment, URMIA Annual Conference, 2011.
- Achieving Cost-Effective PCI Compliance, EDUCAUSE Enterprise IT, 2011.
- Raising Awareness of Website Vulnerability: How to Protect Your University's Site from Threats, EDUCAUSE, 2011
- Don't be Tomorrow's Headlines...Effective Measures for Protecting PII Data, Federal Student Aid Annual Conference, 2010.
- Protecting Data in the Cloud: What's In Your Security Toolkit? TechForum's Cloud Security Forum, 2010.
- Collaborative Cyber Security Response. EDUCAUSE, 2009.
- Our Blended Society. Keynote, Fairfax County Government Security Seminar, 2009.
- Integration Through Participation: Security Is Everyone's Business. EDUCAUSE Mid-Atlantic Regional Conference, 2007.
- Who Owns This Data Anyway? Corralling Data Stewardship. EDUCAUSE, 2006.
- Deputize the Community: IT Security for All. EDUCAUSE, 2006.
- Institutions as Allies in the Security Challenge. EDUCAUSE, 2005.
Recent AUpedia Contributions
8/31/11Six Steps for Checking Your Facebook Privacy
Added Resource: Six Steps for Checking Your Facebook Privacy... Read More
1/10/11Smartphone Users are Targeted by Cyber Criminals
Added Resource: Smartphone Users are Targeted by Cyber Criminals... Read More
- Get more entries from insiders by visiting AUpedia.
- Visit AUpedia
AU News and Achievements
AU Receives Honorable Mention for Best Practices in Information Security
American University’s Information Security group was recently a joint recipient of the Technology Managers ...