May 19, 2011
|TO:||American University Faculty & Staff|
|FROM:||Scott A. Bass, Provost|
|SUBJECT:||Dr. Phyllis Peres’s Appointment as Senior Vice Provost and Dean of Academic Affairs|
In response to the exceptional performance of Dr. Phyllis Peres in the interim role as Senior Vice Provost and Dean of Academic Affairs and in consultation with Human Resources and the Senate Executive Committee, I am pleased to announce that Dr. Peres has agreed to assume the position of Senior Vice Provost and Dean of Academic Affairs on a permanent basis, effective June 1, 2011
As Senior Vice Provost and Dean of Academic Affairs, Dr. Peres is responsible for providing guidance and advice regarding all faculty actions and personnel decisions. Serving as the EEO and affirmative action officer for the faculty, she has a proactive role in enriching the diversity of our faculty and in providing leadership in the area of faculty development. In addition to being a member of the Provost Council of Deans, she is responsible for planning and communication among the Vice Provosts in Academic Affairs, thereby facilitating coordination across AU’s core academic initiatives.
Some of her specific responsibilities include:
- Overall supervision of the AU Abroad Programs, Career Center, and the Center for Teaching, Research and Learning;
- Faculty training and leadership development;
- Faculty actions, promotions and tenure reviews, term faculty appointments, merit process, contracts, and competition and award administration;
- Faculty manual, academic regulations and policies;
- Investigation of faculty grievances, conflicts, and misconduct;
- Collaboration with the deans on academic policy matters;
- Academic planning, including the allocation of faculty lines;
- Oversight of the faculty activity reporting system (FARS); and
- Coordination of the regularly scheduled reviews of academic and/or teaching units.
Dr. Peres is an invaluable member of the Academic Affairs leadership team and has contributed to the strengthening and refinement of many units, processes, policies, and operations during her tenure as Vice Provost for Undergraduate Studies and as Interim Senior Vice Provost and Dean of Academic Affairs. Given her record of leadership and sound judgment, I am confident that she will continue to thrive in this position on a permanent basis. Please join me in congratulating Dr. Peres on this new stage in her career at AU.