Members of the Student Honors Board (SHB) represent Honors students, together serve as a liaison to the Honors Program Director and staff, and plan events, service projects and other activities for the entire Honors community to enjoy.
SHB activities have included philanthropic events such as the Thanksgiving dinner and the variety show, social events such as the spring barbecue and the alumni-student networking reception, and community service initiatives such as a DC Central Kitchen volunteer day. SHB holds weekly meetings during the school year which are open to all Honors students. Selection of SHB members is by election, held each spring and fall semester.
- President: Angela Smith
- Vice President: Emma Zaballos
- Treasurer: Lorraine Magee
- Secretary: Eileen Falk
- Director of Communications: Michael Martinez
Fall 2012 SHB Members
- Jonathan Beatty (Class of 2015)
- Eesha Bhave (Class of 2016)
- Eileen Falk (Class of 2013)
- Lorraine Magee (Class of 2015)
- Michael Martinez (Class of 2013)
- Kelly Mertz (Class of 2015)
- Jessica Micciolo (Class of 2013)
- Adam Mildon (Class of 2014)
- Angela Smith (Class of 2013)
- Valerie Snaman (Class of 2016)
- Margaret Ward (Class of 2014)
- Matthew Waskiewicz (Class of 2016)
- Emma Zaballos (Class of 2015)
The Student Honors Board holds two separate elections during the academic year, one in the fall and one in the spring. The spring elections are held during the first full week of April to fill eight open seats for the following school year. Fall elections are held during the first full week of fall semester to fill the remaining five open seats on the board for that school year.
Members elected in the spring serve a one-year term ending when the following spring term ends. These members hold an internal election for the available executive board positions during that period. Spring election winners are eligible to serve as officers on the executive board, including as president, vice president, treasurer, secretary and director of communications.
Any members elected to SHB in the fall election, however, will not have an internal officer election, as those positions will already have been filled during the previous spring elections. All elected members are full-fledged members of the board whose terms shall also expire at the end of the spring semester of that school year. Should an executive board position remain unfilled from the spring elections, members elected in the fall are eligible to fill the vacancy by appointment after they are successfully elected to the board.