For more than fifteen years, we have partnered with the AU community to provide canned and other food for those in need, while giving you a break on your library fines. This year we are partnering with Capital Area Food Bank's Back Pack Program.
You can pay up to $20.00 of your AU fines with donated food. The Food for Fines offer does not extend to other consortium libraries. Food for Fines ends on December 20, so take advantage of this opportunity while you *ahem* can.
The list below details what food items will be accepted for this program. You may also request a copy of this list in-person at our Borrowing Desk or by contacting the Borrowing Desk by email, email@example.com, or phone 202-885-3221.
Food for Fines items accepted in 2013:
- Canned fruits (without corn syrup)—8oz or larger 1 can = $1.00 off fines
- Canned vegetables—8oz or larger 1 can = $1.00 off fines
- Canned beans (black or kidney)—8oz or larger 1 can = $1.00 off fines
- Soup (especially chicken noodle or tomato)—8oz or larger 1 can = $1.00 off fines
- Canned tuna—6oz or larger 1 can = $1.00 off fines
- Canned chicken—6oz or larger 1 can = $1.00 off fines
- Boxed rice dishes—1 box 7 oz or larger = $1.00 off fines
- Plain rice—1 bag 32 oz or larger $1.00 off fines
- Boxed mac and cheese—1 box 7.25 oz or larger = $1.00 off fines
- Granola or cereal bars—1 box 6ct or more = 4.00 off fines
- Single Serving Snacks—1 box 8ct or more = $4.00 off fines
- Peanut butter (no hydrogenated oils/trans fats)—1 jar 18oz or larger = $4.00 off fines