As the world prepares for President Obama’s second term as president, the Office of Development and Alumni Relations is also gearing up to honor one of the country’s most enduring and patriotic of traditions: the 57th presidential inauguration. On Saturday, January 19, join fellow AU alumni, parents, friends, neighbors, faculty, staff, and current students for a unique experience of networking, academic discussion, and celebration.
Bookended by two receptions, the afternoon will feature panels of alumni, faculty, staff, and students reflecting on President Obama’s second-term agenda. A keynote panel, moderated by Jim Thurber, director of AU’s Center for Congressional and Presidential Studies, will feature AU President Neil Kerwin, SPA/BA ’71, and former ambassador and Congresswoman Connie Morella, CAS/MA ’67.
The afternoon’s lineup of events is as follows:
2 p.m.: Wine-and-cheese networking reception
3 – 4 p.m.: Selection of faculty, alumni, and student-led panels
- The Future of Obamacare, featuring panelists John Boyer, SPA/PhD ’89, former president and general manager of MAXIMUS Federal Services, Inc., and Gary Jacobs, SPA/MPA ’76, managing director of the Health Industries Advisory Practice at PricewaterhouseCoopers
- The Challenge of Tax Reform, featuring Don Williamson, professor in the Kogod School of Business and executive director of the Kogod Tax Center, and Dave Kautter, executive in residence in the Kogod School of Business and managing director of the Kogod Tax Center
- The Future of Foreign Policy, featuring panelists Jordan Tama, professor in the School of International Service, and Stephen Tankel, professor in the School of Public Affairs
- Student-led panel (details coming soon)
4:15 – 5:30 p.m.: Keynote Panel, How Congress Will Work with the President
- Moderated by Jim Thurber, SPA Distinguished Professor and director of the Center for Congressional and Presidential Studies
- Featuring American University President Neil Kerwin, SPA/BA ’71; Former ambassador and Congresswoman Connie Morella, CAS/MA ’67.
5:30 – 7 p.m.: Cocktail reception and book signing
All events will take place in the Katzen Arts Center on campus. Cost to attend is $15 for alumni, parents, and friends and $10 for young alumni (those who graduated within the last 10 years). There is no charge for American University faculty, staff, and current students. The ticket price covers admission, food, wine, beer, and soft drinks. Please register online to attend.
Guests looking to spend even more time with fellow Eagles can enjoy two additional university-sponsored events during Inauguration Weekend:
Saturday, January 19:
American University’s Martin Luther King Day of Service
8:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
Sunday, January 20:
SPExS Alumni Champagne Brunch for alumni from the Washington Semester Program, the Graduate Gateway Program, Washington Internships for Native Students, and the Washington Mentorship Program
11:00 a.m – 1:00 p.m.
Capital Audiorium, Tenley Campus
$10 per person in advance; $15 per person at the door
Please mark your calendars and plan to commemorate the 57th presidential inauguration with American University!