To conveniently serve students, prospective employers, and other organizations who require degree and enrollment information, American University has authorized the National Student Clearinghouse (NSC) to act as its agent for confirmation of student and degree verification.
Student Self-Service Site
For current students, the National Clearinghouse provides a self-service site to:
- obtain an enrollment certificate
- view enrollment information on file
- view student loan deferment notifications
- view proof of enrollment
- view info about student loans
To access your self-service site 24 hours a day, 7 days a week:
- Go to the self-service site through this direct link on the portal, myau.american.edu (portal login required)
- Click on "Enter the Student Clearinghouse" button
Please Note: The National Student Clearinghouse service is on a secure web site separate from the American University portal. When you click the button for the NSC, you will leave myau.american.edu and enter the NSC web site.
For Alumni, to access the Student Clearinghouse directly (includes nominal fee):
- Go to http://www.studentclearinghouse.org
- Call 703-742-4200 or fax to 703-742-4239
Please Note: The clearinghouse is not able to process verifications requiring academic information (GPA). These requests must be processed directly through AU Central with a signed release from the student.
This service is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week!
Other Clearinghouse Services:
- Enrollment Verifications for Student-Based Service Providers - includes inquiries from health insurers, credit issuers, local parking permits, etc.
- Degree Verifications - can be provided to employers, background search firms, and recruiters.
- Student Loan Enrollment Verifications - provided at no charge since lenders and guarantors underwrite costs.
Students may obtain a letter of certification or verification of their enrollment from AU Central. Requests must be in writing and include:
- Your name
- Social security number or Student ID number
- Dates of attendance
- Specifically what you want the University to certify
- Your signature (this is required to release the certification)
- Complete address for where you want the letter of certification to be mailed
Please allow two (2) to four (4) working days for processing. Please allow additional time during grading periods and at the beginning of each school year.
Ways to request a Letter of Certification:
- FAX your request to: Certifications (202) 885-1046
- Visit AU Central at Asbury Room 201, and fill out the certification request form, available only at our office.
- Mail your request to:
4400 Massachusetts Avenue, NW
Asbury Building, Room 201
Washington, DC 20016-8064
Enrollment Certification FAQs
What is a certification letter?
A certification is an official document that verifies student academic standing, attendance dates, degrees awarded, anticipated graduation date.
You may need a enrollment certification for to verify academic standing to another institution, loan defferments, DC parking permits, employment, or for insurance companies.
What can be included in a certification letter?
Status (part-time or full-time)
Start and end of semester dates
Anticipated graduation date
Is the Enrollment Certification different from a Transcript?
Yes. An Enrollment Certification letter shows your currently enrolled classes as well as current student status such as full-time or part-time. A Transcript shows the coursework that you have already completed.