Office of the Registrar

Veterans' Benefits and Responsiblities

American University’s degree programs are approved for enrollment of veterans (and eligible dependents of deceased or disabled veterans) for educational benefits under the various federal laws relating to veterans. While every effort has been made to provide accurate and complete information, changes in federal regulations and university policy may occur at any time without notice. The following should be considered informational and not binding on the university.

New Students

Veterans entering American University must file a Veterans Application for VA Educational Benefits (22-1990) with a certified copy of DD-214 through AU Central. Service men and women wishing to receive Veterans Administration (VA) benefits for the first time must present the Serviceman’s Application for VA Educational Benefits (22-1990), signed by the Education Office and the Commanding Officer. Enrollment Certification (22-1999) is sent to the VA by AU Central to initiate benefits for the enrollment period.

Transfer students who have received VA educational benefits at another institution and wish to receive VA benefits for the first time at American University should file a Request for Change of Program or Place of Training (22-1995) through AU Central. This form will be sent to the VA with the Enrollment Certification (22-1999) completed by the university.

Continuing Students

Continuing students must file the American University VA claim card for educational benefits each semester with AU Central. All changes in registration (adds, drops, and withdrawals) must be reported to AU Central.

Payment and Financial Responsibility

With the exception of disabled veterans who are training under Vocational Rehabilitation, all beneficiaries of VA educational benefits are personally responsible for the payment of their bills to the university. VA checks for educational benefits are sent directly to the address designated on the American University VA claim card. Eligible students (chapter 30 persons only) who wish to receive advance payment must file an advance payment request form. Students who are granted advance payment pick up only the first check from AU Central. Thereafter, checks are sent directly to the address on file with the VA.

VA benefits are awarded on the basis of the expected completion of a certain number of credits each semester as stated on the Certification form. The VA interprets “completion of credits” differently from the university. Completion of credits is defined by the VA as grades of A, B, C,D, F, P, or FZ, F. However, veterans who drop below the anticipated number of credits by receiving a W (withdrawals), L (audit), or N (no grade reported) will be in overpayment status according to the VA. Benefits will be reduced for future periods of enrollment or, should no further enrollment occur, students will have to refund money directly to the VA.

The VA directs the university to notify them of a change in status for students during or immediately after the end of the month in which the change occurs. Under mitigating circumstances, exceptions to the above policies may be made through the Veterans Administration Regional Office.

Forms and information are available from AU Central, Asbury Building, second floor, 202-885-8000.