2013 AU Summer Scholars and Artists
Congratulations to the winners 2013 AU Summer Scholars and Artists Fellowship!
- Jonathan Wallen
- Jessie Hirtenstein
- Jose Ramirez-Rivera
- Moira Esson
- Allie Martin
- Colin Wick
- Kate Brunette
- Sagatom Saha
A short description of their research projects can be found at the following link: 2013 AU Summer Scholars and Artists: Project Abstracts (PDF).
Undergraduate Research Workshop
Learn from AU faculty and staff in order to create great presentations, organize research, and find a faculty mentor. Videos of the Undergraduate Research Workshop are available.
Advanced undergraduates are invited to be an American University Summer Scholar or Artist for summer 2014. Fellows will be awarded $4,000 to conduct full-time research with a faculty mentor that leads to significant scholarly or creative work. The application deadline for the 2014 awards is March 7, 5 p.m. The results will be announced March 17.
To qualify, applicants must meet the following requirements:
- A minimum cumulative GPA of 3.5
- Must have earned 60 credits by Summer 2014
- Will be registered for classes in Fall 2014
- Conducting research project with a faculty mentor
Before submitting the application form, students should request a confidential letter of recommendation from the faculty mentor and prepare the following materials to be entered or uploaded into the electronic form:
- A project title
- A brief, 100-word, project abstract
- An AU transcript
- A project proposal
Once you submit the electronic form, your professor will be asked to upload a letter of recommendation.
The selection committee will look at the following characteristics of your application:
- The quality of the research question
- The quality of the research method
- The quality of the plan for the presentation of the results of the research
- The quality of the summer plan (whether the research can be done in the allotted time)
- The quality of the student’s preparation to do the work
- The quality of the mentor’s engagement