Skip to main content
Expand AU Menu

Financial Aid

Master of International Service students are eligible for some forms of financial aid. The Graduate Admissions Office at the School of International Service provides detailed information about the opportunities open to Master of International Service students.

Hart A. Massey Fellowship

The Hart A. Massey Fellowship is awarded each academic year to one or more incoming Canadian students pursuing graduate studies full-time at American University. The fellowship is applied to tuition charges. It is renewable for one year to students who show satisfactory progress towards their graduate degree. The application deadline is in February of every year.

United Methodist Graduate Scholarship

The United Methodist Graduate Scholarship is awarded each academic year to a graduate student enrolled at American University who is a full member of the United Methodist Church for at least one year prior to application. The scholarship is applied to tuition charges. Awards are renewable for one year to students who show satisfactory progress towards their graduate degree. The application deadline is in March of every year.

Summer Abroad Scholarship

Awards (ranging from $500 to $2,000) are given to SIS graduate students who can demonstrate scholastic achievement, a commitment to global service, strong motivation for studying abroad and financial need, and who will be participating in a SIS Summer Abroad Program. Further information about the Scholarship and the SIS Summer Abroad Programs is available on the SIS Study Abroad website. 

Graduate Research Grant

The Graduate Research Grants are designed to promote SIS graduate student scholarship and professionalism. Award recipients are given up to $1000 for travel abroad and $500 for domestic travel to engage in academic research or participate in an internship or conference. PhD candidates and students applying to a SIS Summer Abroad Program are not eligible to apply.

Tinker-Walker Fellowship

Students are encouraged to include overseas field experience in their research, internship, or practicum. Through the International Development program's endowed Irene Tinker-Millidge Walker Fellowship, students can receive financial support to offset the costs of study.

Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)

Graduate students enrolled at least half time in a Master's or PhD program may be eligible for federal loans and/or federal work study. To apply, students must submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). There is no deadline, and the FAFSA will be reviewed on a rolling basis as it is received.

External Funding Opportunities

American University’s Merit Awards Office offers a listing of recognition awards for students. Some of them may provide funding for further scholarship in addition to recognizing current outstanding school work. American University’s Graduate Studies Office also provides guidance in applying for awards and maximizing your chances of a successful application.

Financial Aid Offices

Find more information on financial resources through our Graduate Admissions Office and the AU Financial Aid Office.