School of International Service graduates work in a variety of professions in the private, public, and not-for-profit sectors throughout the world. While on campus, students take advantage of Washington, DC’s extensive resources, including international organizations, embassies, U.S. government offices, major libraries, a university consortium, numerous museums, and other cultural venues. Many of SIS’s over 15,000 alumni began their careers in the Washington D.C. area through internships and fellowship opportunities. Career advisors at SIS regularly meet with students to assist with resume writing, job applications, and overall career counseling. Additionally, the school offers regular networking events throughout the year with alumni in the field of international relations.
Internships and Career Pathways
SIS graduates are recognized by employers for having proven skills upon graduation — developed through active involvement in internships throughout the academic program. To support the student’s professional development, the Career Center and SIS partner with domestic and international employers to offer substantive internship experiences. The Career Center’s advisors and SIS faculty members provide students with individualized assistance in locating and successfully completing these internships. Over 90% of SIS graduate students complete at least one (and often more than one) internship during their time in the program. These internships can be in Washington or anywhere in the world, and can be for credit or can be done on a non-credit basis.
To view some of our international internship partner organizations and available internships, visit the Graduate Student Summer International Internships page.
2013 SIS Graduate Career Outcomes
The following statistics represent the May 2013 master's graduating cohort six months after graduation (83% response rate).
|Employed, Fulfilling Other Plans, or Pursuing Advanced Degree
|Pursuing Advanced Degree
|Employed & Pursuing Advanced Degree
Service Across Sectors
|$50,000 - $59,999
|$40,000 - $49,999
- BAE Systems Inc.
- British Embassy in the
- United States
- The Brookings Institution
- Cato Institute
- CDC Development Solutions
- Center for Strategic and International Studies
- Central Intelligence Agency
- Chemonics International
- Federal Bureau of Investigation
- Federal Emergency
- Management Agency
- The Fund for Peace
- The Global Fund
- for Children
- Institute of International Education
- Development Bank
- International Food Policy Research Institute
- International Organization
- for Migration
- Kroll Inc.
- Management Systems International
- Maryland General Assembly
- Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Republic of Indonesia
- National Cancer Institute
- National Democratic Institute
- National Wildlife Federation
- The ONE Campaign
- Overseas Strategic
- Consulting, Ltd.
- Plan International
- U.S. Department of Defense
- U.S. Department of Justice
- U.S. Department of State
- U.S. Department of the Treasury
- U.S.-China Business Council
- United States Institute of Peace
- William J. Clinton Foundation
- The World Bank
- World Vision