School of International Service
Additional Positions at AUDirector, Ethics, Peace, and Global Affairs Program
Society for Ethics, Peace, and Global Affairs Advisor
Creative Peace Initiatives Advisor
- Jeff Bachman is a professor of human rights, with a focus in genocide, counterterrorism and human rights, media coverage of human rights events, and state responsibility and individual accountability for violations of human rights law and international humanitarian law. He is especially interested in the misuse of the law as a political tool through its selective application and enforcement. Jeff has field experience working for Amnesty International in the Government Relations for Europe/Eurasia program.
DegreesPhD, Law and Public Policy, Northeastern University, M.A., Composition and Rhetoric, Rowan University, B.A., Business Management, Widener University
Favorite Spot on Campus:Outside
Book Currently Reading:No Logo by Naomi Klein
Languages Spoken:Very basic Russian
- DOWNLOAD CV (PDF)
- SIS-School of Intl Service
- SIS - 213
- Tuesdays 4:00-5:30; Thursdays 10:15-12:30; by appointment
FOR THE MEDIA
To request an interview for a
news story, call AU Communications
at 202-885-5950 or submit a request.
Scholarly, Creative & Professional Activities
Prevention of and response to genocide, the role of the ICJ and ICC in prevention of genocide and other mass atrocity crimes, the role of external state actors in human rights violations, ethics of humanitarian intervention, and media framing of international crises.
- “President Obama’s Perpetual (Drone) War.” (Op-Ed). Providence Journal, January 7, 2012.
- “President Obama’s ‘Unforced Errors.’” (Op-Ed). Common Dreams, October 22, 2011.
- “Translate Noble Rhetoric Into Gay Rights.” (Op-Ed). Gloucester County Times, November 7, 2010.
- “Despite Obama, our work's not over.” (Op-Ed). San Antonio Express-News, January 21, 2009.