School of International Service
Additional Positions at AUFounder and Executive Director, Intercultural Management Institute
Faculty Retreat Planning Committee
- Each year, Dr. Gary Weaver gives over 100 keynote addresses, lectures, training seminars, and workshops to various universities, nonprofit groups, government agencies, professional organizations and business groups in the U.S. and abroad. His topics range from working in a multicultural workforce, law enforcement in a cultural diverse community, culture shock, and cross-cultural negotiation to conflict resolution, American identity movements and multicultural childcare.
DegreesPhD, International Relations, American University; MA, American University; BA, American University
- DOWNLOAD FULL BIO (PDF)
- SIS - School of International Service
- SIS - 239
FOR THE MEDIA
To request an interview for a
news story, call AU Communications
at 202-885-5950 or submit a request.
Scholarly, Creative & Professional Activities
Dr. Weaver's lecture topics range from law enforcement in a culturally diverse community, culture shock, and cross-cultural negotiation to conflict resolution, American identity movements and multicultural childcare.
- Culture, Communication, and Conflict.
- Editor, "Intercultural Relations," The Journal of International Communication, 2004.
- "This Cutthroat College Generation"
- "American Identity Movements"
- "The Melting Pot Myth vs. the Cultural Cookie Cutter"
- "Police and the Enemy Image in Black Literature"
- "Law Enforcement in a Culturally Diverse Society"
- "Understanding and Coping with Cross-Cultural Adjustment Stress"
- "The Process of Reentry"
- Readings in Cross-Cultural Communication
- The University and Revolution
Honors, Awards, and Fellowships
- Fellow, International Academy for Intercultural Research
Area of Expertise: American foreign policy; cross-cultural and international communication, adaptation, negotiation, and conflict; hostage negotiations; American culture; higher education; history of student movements on campus; contemporary social and political movements; human behavior; counseling; race relations; college campus life; managing cultural diversity; law enforcement in a culturally diverse society
Additional Information: Gary Weaver's published articles include “This Cutthroat College Generation,” “American Identity Movements,” “The Melting Pot Myth vs. the Cultural Cookie Cutter,” “Police and the Enemy Image in Black Literature,” “Law Enforcement in a Culturally Diverse Society,” “Understanding and Coping with Cross-Cultural Adjustment Stress,” “The Process of Reentry.” His books include Readings in Cross-Cultural Communication; The University and Revolution; Culture, Communication and Conflict; and his most recent, America's Midlife Crisis: The Future of a Troubled Superpower. In addition, Weaver, the editor of the special edition of the Journal of International Communication titled “Intercultural Relations," coauthors a column in RealClearWorld with Bill Ahlstrom and Theodore Couloumbis.
To request an interview please call AU Media Relations at 202-885-5950 or submit an interview request form.