Adjunct Professorial Lecturer
School of International Service
- Dr. Peter Howard focuses on US foreign policy and international security. He studies how the implementation of foreign policy programs produces rule-based regional security regimes, conducting research in Estonia on NATO Expansion and US Military Exchange programs and South Korea on nuclear negotiations with North Korea.
DegreesPhD, American University
- DOWNLOAD FULL BIO (PDF)
- SIS - School of International Service
- Hurst - 206B
FOR THE MEDIA
To request an interview for a
news story, call AU Communications
at 202-885-5950 or submit a request.
Scholarly, Creative & Professional Activities
Dr. Howard’s research examines issues of international security, with a focus on U.S. Foreign Policy.
Grants and Sponsored Research
- IREX Grant (Estonia)
- "Why Not Invade North Korea? Threats, Language Games and US Foreign Policy," International Studies Quarterly 48:4 (December 2004).
- "The Growing Role of States in US Foreign Policy: The Case of the State Partnership Program," International Studies Perspectives 5:2 (May 2004).
- "Spending on Private White House Pollsters: Carter to Clinton," Public Opinion Quarterly 66:4 (Winter 2002). Co-author: Shoon Murray.
- "Canada's Constructivist Foreign Policy: Building Norms for Peace," Canadian Foreign Policy Journal 8:1 (Fall 2000). Co-author: Reina Neufeldt.
- "International States," State Government News, October 2003.
- "United States and Europe Experience Continental Drift," Foreign Policy in Focus, May 22, 2003.
- "Endgames: Washington, UN and Europe," Foreign Policy in Focus, February 28, 2002.
- "Rice Holds a Different Worldview," The Baltimore Sun. December 21, 2000.
- "NATO Transformed," Demokratizatsiya The Journal of Post-Soviet Democratization 8:2 (Spring 2000), pages 271-273 (book review).
- "Balance of Power," "Deterrence," "Great Powers," "International Organizations," "International Political Economy," and "United Nations," Encarta Encyclopedia 2005.
AU News and Achievements
Students Soak Up Scholarship, Sun at SIS Summer Program
High-school students from all over the U.S. experienced the college life at AU for three weeks in 2009....