Scholar in Residence
School of International Service
- Dr. Jandl teaches courses on East Asian political economy, culture and development and cross-cultural communication, and serves as program director for the AU summer course in Vietnam. His research interests include the interrelation among rent seeking, economic governance, decentralization, trade and investment and economic development, with an area focus on East Asia. Current work focuses on the impact of foreign investment on decentralization, migration and fiscal allocation in Vietnam, the East Asian development model and post-communist transition. He has worked in Vietnam and published on Vietnam's and Malaysia's development models. In applying his research, he advises developing country governments on economic governance and trade and investment issues, and is a consultant for the Council of American Universities Abroad. Before his academic career, he has worked as a journalist covering military and national security issues.
DegreesPhD, American University, MA, American University, BA, San Diego State University, Certificate, Ecole Superieure de Journalisme, Paris
Languages Spoken:German, French, and Italian
- DOWNLOAD CV (PDF)
- SIS - School of International Service
- East Quad Bldg - 306
- Tuesdays, 12:00 p.m. – 2:00 p.m., Thursdays 11:30 a.m. - 1:30 p.m.
FOR THE MEDIA
To request an interview for a
news story, call AU Communications
at 202-885-5950 or submit a request.
Scholarly, Creative & Professional Activities
Honors, Awards, and Fellowships
- American University Travel Grant, American University (2005, 2007, 2009, 2010)
- Doctoral Dissertation Fellowship, American University (2007 – 2008)
- Global International Studies Conference Grant, World International Studies Committee (2008)
- Hurst Fellowship, American University (2003 – 2006)
- Economic Decentralization and Central Political Control in Vietnam." AAS/ICAS Joint Conference, Honolulu, March 31 – April 3, 2011.
- The Political Logic of Interest Group Contestation in Vietnam's Economic Reforms." International Studies Association 52nd Annual Convention, Montreal, March 16 – 19, 2011.
- "The Methodological Primacy of the Case Study: A Plea for Particularizing in Making Research Policy-Relevant." International Studies Association 51st Annual Convention, New Orleans, February 17 – 20, 2010.
- "Coercion, Capitalism and Competition: Contested Politics and Devolution of Power in Vietnam." International Studies Association 51st Annual Convention, New Orleans, February 17 – 20, 2010.
- "The Federalist Problem: Competition for FDI, Fiscal Allocation and the Center-Province Balance in Vietnam." International Studies Association 50th Annual Convention, New York, February 15 – 18, 2009.
- “Globalization and the State: The Decentralizing Effect of Foreign Direct Investment in Vietnam.” Workshop on Globalization and the State, Maxwell School of Citizenship and Public Affairs, Syracuse University, Syracuse, N.Y., May 19-20, 2008.
- "Tragedy Averted or Tragedy Deferred? Rent-Seeking and Malaysia's Response to the Asian Financial Crisis." European Association of Southeast Asian Studies, Naples, Italy, September 12 – 15, 2007.
- "Wither the State? State Power and Good Governance in a Globalizing Vietnam." European Association of Southeast Asian Studies, Naples, Italy, September 12 – 15, 2007.
- "Sovereignty in the Age of Globalization: Meaning and Role of 'the State' in the Global Trade and Investment Environment." Asia-Pacific Research Unit Conference, University Sains Malaysia, Penang, Malaysia, August 7 – 8, 2007.
- "Domestic Mobility and Elite Rent-Seeking: The Right to Migrate among Provinces and Vietnam's Economic Success Story." Fifth International Convention of Asia Scholars, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, August 2 – 5, 2007.
- "FDI, Incentive Structure and Rent-Seeking: The Impact of Domestic Economic Competition on the Political Economy of Vietnam." Southeast Asia: Crossroads of the World, Northern Illinois University, DeKalb, Ill., February 16 – 17, 2007.
- "Governance and Economic Decision-Making: The Impact of Malaysia's Form of Democracy on the Country's Response to the Asian Financial Crisis of 1997." Whose Democracy? Conflict, Negotiation and Transformation in Southeast Asia, University of Michigan Center for Southeast Asian Studies, March 31, 2006.
- "The Changing Realities of Labor Migration and Tax Allocation in Vietnam: Is There a 'Federalism' Problem among Early and Late Developing Provinces?" Journal of East Asian Studies (under review).
- "Economic Decentralization and Central Political Control in Vietnam." City University of Hong Kong Southeast Asia Research Centre Working Paper no. 117 (January 2012): 23 pages. [http://www6.cityu.edu.hk/searc/doc.aspx?year=2012]
- Rent Seeking and Interest Group Contestation: A Harmony-of-Interest Approach to Vietnam's Economic Reforms. Dissertation. American University. Washington, School of International Service, 2011.
- "Domestic Mobility and Elite Rent-Seeking: The Right to Migrate among Provinces and Vietnam's Economic Success Story," In State, Society and International Relations in Asia, edited by Parvizi Amineh, 75-94. Amsterdam: Amsterdam University Press, 2010.
- "The Whithering State Debate: Evidence from Vietnam's and Malaysia's Globalizing Economies," International Journal of Asia-Pacific Studies 5, no. 1 (January 2009): 53-78.
- "Malaysia and the Asian Financial Crisis: Rent Seeking and Economic Policy Choices in a Global Economy," Journal of Asiatic Studies 51, no. 4 (December 2008).
- "Development: Not Only White, and Not Only Burden," Review. Asian Journal of Public Affairs 1, no. 1 (Summer 2007): 3 pages.
- "Transparent Governance: The Role of Nongovernmental Organizations and the Internet," (with Michael McGovern, Thomas Beierle and Neil Harrison). In Encyclopedia of Life Support Systems (EOLSS), edited by Neil Harrison, 41 pages. Oxford, UK: UNESCO, EOLSS Publishers, 2005.
- "Making WTO Membership Work for Viet Nam: Globalization as Critical Discourse," Mekong Info (Summer 2005): 24 pages.
- "Godaan: The Gift of a Cow," Review. Yale Journal for International Affairs 1, no. 1 (Fall 2005): 201-203.
- "U.S. Support for the Russian Federation: Touching People's Lives Through Cooperative Assistance," Study for the U.S. Department of Energy's Arctic Military Environmental Cooperation program, August 2001.
- "Russia's Civil Society Under President Putin's 'Dictatorship of the Law,'" Human Rights Watch Journal, Amsterdam, Spring 2000.
- "After Nikitin Acquittal, the System Strikes Back," Just Earth Network Newsletter, 1(1), Washington, April 2000.