Director, Social Enterprise Program
School of International Service
Additional Positions at AUAdjunct Professorial Lecturer, School of International Service
- Robert Tomasko directs the Social Enterprise Program and holds a faculty appointment at American University, where he teaches graduate courses in corporate social responsibility, effective activism, leadership, NGO management and social entrepreneurship. Before coming to American University he was an author, business consultant, and frequent speaker at management conferences throughout the world. Over 100,000 copies of his books have been sold, and they have been translated into Chinese, Dutch, German, Indonesian, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese and Spanish. He has advised clients throughout the world on issues of organization and strategy, including Coca-Cola, Exxon, Ford, Marriott, Mitsubishi, Telstra, Toyota, chemical manufacturers in France and Japan, oil companies in Peru and Thailand, and four of the “Baby Bell" regional telephone companies. His public sector clients include Auditor General of Canada, Presidential Commission on World Hunger, US Federal Aviation Administration, US Navy, and UNICEF.
DegreesEd, M., Harvard Graduate School of Education, Harvard University, B.S., Case Institute of Technology, Case Western Reserve University
Favorite Spot on Campus:Anywhere with a good view of the new SIS building.
- DOWNLOAD FULL BIO (PDF)
- DOWNLOAD CV (PDF)
- SIS-School of Intl Service
- SIS - 222
- Days, evenings, and weekends by appointment
FOR THE MEDIA
To request an interview for a
news story, call AU Communications
at 202-885-5950 or submit a request.
Scholarly, Creative & Professional Activities
- Bigger Isn’t Always Better (Amacom: American Management Association, 2006)
- “The End of Growth” in Business: The Ultimate Resource (Basic Books, 2006)
- Go for Growth (John Wiley & Sons, 1996)
- “Den Unternehmen den Prozess machen – von der Hierarchie zum Zweck” in Management der Lernprozesse Im Unternehmen (Gabler Verlag, 1995)
- Rethinking the Corporation (Amacom, 1993)
- “Map of the Strategic Staff Officer” in The Next Generation Company (Diamond, 1991, in Japanese)
- “Lehren von innovativen Unternehmen in den USA, in Japan und in Europa” in Management der Geschaefte von Morgen (Gabler Verlag, 1986)
- Downsizing: Reshaping the Corporation for the Future (Amacom, 1986)