Students using a current or prior job, or an internship completed prior to Fall 2012 to fulfill their professional degree requirement: Download the Professional Experience Certification form [pdf].
FOR FALL 2013 ACADEMIC CREDIT INTERSHIPS: As of fall 2013, all students completing domestic or international internships for academic credit must register for the online internship course (SIS-691-300).
(Students seeking an exception to register an internship for academic credit with an independent faculty advisor must secure the approval of their program director.) This course will provide students the opportunity to reflect on their internship experience, plan their career goals, and improve networking techniques. To register, students should fill out the internship registration form at the link below and return to SIS Grad Advising Office. Students do not need to obtain faculty approval to register for the internship course. Questions about registration should be directed to the Graduate Advising office.
FOR SUMMER 2013 ONLINE INTERNSHIP COURSE: SIS is offering a new online internship course (SIS-691-300) for students completing domestic internships for academic credit for summer 2013. The course, taught by Dr. Guy Ziv, will provide students the opportunity to reflect on their internship experience, plan their career goals, and improve networking techniques. The course will take place May 29-August 15, but since it is an online course, the hours are flexible. Questions about the course should be directed to Prof. Ziv. To register, students should fill out the internship registration form at the link below return to SIS Grad Advising Office no later than Friday, May 24. Students do not need approval/signature from Prof Ziv. Questions about registration should be directed to the Graduate Advising office.
Course NumbersNon-credit internships are used to fulfill the Professional Experience requirement
- SIS-091: Non-credit internship taking place entirely within the United States
- SIS-092: Non-credit internship with any international travel component
- SIS-691: For-credit internship taking place entirely within the United States
- SIS-692: For-credit internship with any international travel component
Before RegistrationStudents are responsible for finding their own internships. For internship resources, contact the Career Center. In order for an internship to meet the professional experience requirement, it must:
- Take place between the first and last day of the semester in which it is registered. A 3 credit internship or non-credit internship requires at least 180 hours of service. Students seeking to register a for-credit internship for more than or fewer than 3 credits should consult their academic advisor.
- Be at least 85% substantive in nature (e.g., research, report writing, etc.)
- Be relevant to a student’s program of study.
- For-credit internships: students are responsible for finding a faculty member to supervise the academic component of their internships and to design the academic work plan that accompanies their internships. All for-credit internships must be registered for a letter grade.
- Non-credit internships: students do not need to find a faculty member, do not require an academic work plan, and are registered pass/fail.
- Internships with any international travel component require:
- The Graduate Global Practicum (GGP) form (pdf)
- A Health & Safety Orientation at the Career Center (202-885-1804, email@example.com
- Complete ALL REQUIRED SPACES on the Internship Registration form and (if needed) GGP form.
- For-credit internships: sign the form, have your internship site supervisor and your faculty supervisor sign, and bring the form (including the GGP if applicable) to your academic advisor. Your academic advisor will obtain the Department Chair/Dean signature and submit the form for you.
- Non-credit internships: sign the form, have your internship site supervisor sign, and bring the form (including the GGP if applicable) to your academic advisor. Your academic advisor will obtain the faculty supervisor and Department Chair/Dean signature and submit the form for you.
- Note: Registration deadlines listed on the Academic Calendar. If the internship is the only course for which you plan to register in a semester, the deadline to register without a late fee is the Friday before the first day of classes. Tuition charged for for-credit internships is the same as the normal tuition rate. There is no cost for non-credit internships.
International Students on F-1 or J-1 Visas