Students using a current or prior job, or an internship completed prior to Fall 2012, to fulfill their professional experience requirement: Download the Professional Experience Certification form [pdf].
FOR ACADEMIC CREDIT INTERSHIPS: Starting fall 2013, all students completing domestic or international internships for academic credit must register for an internship course (See Schedule of Classes for more information, including instructors.)
The internship course will provide students the opportunity to reflect on their internship experience, plan their career goals, and improve networking techniques. To register, students should fill out the internship registration forms at the link above and return them to SIS Grad Advising. Students do not need to obtain faculty approval to register for an internship course. Questions about registration should be directed to the Graduate Advising office. Questions about the course should be directed to the relevant instructor (see Schedule of Classes).
- SIS-091: Non-credit internship taking place entirely within the United States
- SIS-096: Non-credit internship with any international travel component
- SIS-691: For-credit internship taking place entirely within the United States
- SIS-692: For-credit internship with any international travel component
Non-credit internships are used to fulfill the Professional Experience requirement
Before RegistrationStudents are responsible for finding their own internships. For internship resources, visit the Career Center. In order for an internship to meet the professional experience requirement, it must:
- Take place between the first and last day of the semester in which it is registered. A 3 credit internship or non-credit internship requires at least 180 hours of service. Students seeking to register a for-credit internship for more than or fewer than 3 credits should consult their academic advisor.
- Be at least 85% substantive in nature (e.g., research, report writing, etc.)
- Be relevant to a student’s program of study.
- For-credit internships: Students choosing to register an internship for academic credit are required to register for an SIS internship course, which is registered for a letter grade (see Schedule of Classes for further course information).
- Non-credit internships: Internships registered for no credit to fulfill the professional experience requirement do not require a faculty advisor or academic work plan, and are registered pass/fail.
- Internships with any international travel component require:
- The Graduate Global Practicum (GGP) form (pdf)
- A Health & Safety Orientation completed via the Career Center (202-885-1804, firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Complete ALL REQUIRED SPACES on the Internship Registration forms (and GGP forms as necessary).
- For-credit internships: 1) Have your internship site supervisor complete his/her portion of the forms; 2) Indicate for which internship course setion/instructor you wish to register; 3) Sign the forms; 4) Submit the forms (including the GGP if applicable) to the Graduate Advising office. Your academic advisor will obtain the faculty supervisor and Department Chair/Dean signatures and submit the forms to the Registrar's office for processing on your behalf.
- Non-credit internships: 1) Have your internship site supervisor complete his/her portion of the forms; 2) Indicate for which internship course setion/instructor you wish to register; 3) Sign the forms; 4) Submit the forms (including the GGP if applicable) to the Graduate Advising office. Your academic advisor will obtain the faculty supervisor and Department Chair/Dean signatures and submit the forms to the Registrar's office for processing on your behalf.
- Note: Registration deadlines are listed on the Academic Calendar. If the internship is the only academic credits for which you plan to register in a semester, the deadline to initially register without a late fee is the Friday before the first day of classes. Tuition charged for for-credit internships is the same as the normal tuition rate. There is no cost for non-credit internships.
International Students on F-1 or J-1 Visas