Graduate Non-degree Study: Guidelines and InstructionsNew non-degree registration for Fall 2015 begins on Monday, April 13, 2015 and registration for Summer 2015 begins on Friday, May 1, 2015.
The School of International Service (SIS) offers graduate non-degree study for students who are interested in pursuing graduate coursework without the commitment of a degree program.
Who Can Apply?
- To apply for non-degree graduate study at SIS, applicants must be either a US citizen, permanent resident, or hold a visa status of A1, A2, G4 or H1. Students holding B1, B2, F1, or J1 visas are not permitted to take classes in non-degree status.
- Applicants must have completed at least a bachelor’s degree at an accredited institution.
- Applicants who have been denied admission to a graduate program in SIS are not eligible for non-degree study during the academic year after having been denied admission.
Application and Registration
- Prospective, first-time non-degree students should direct their application for non-degree study toAU Central's non-degree page.
Non-degree students registered for the current semester are pre-authorized to register for the subsequent semester via their myAU Portal.
- Non-degree students who were last registered in a previous semester
should email email@example.com in order to be authorized to
register for a future semester.
- To review the SIS semester graduate course opportunities and class schedules, please visit the AU Registrar’s Office website at Schedule of Classes . Graduate courses are listed under International Service, begin with the prefix SIS, and have course numbers 500 and above.
- Once registered, non-degree students must abide by American University policies, including, but not limited to, polices on academic integrity, and tuition payment and registration deadlines, including withdrawals and refunds. The Academic Regulations outline University policies, and important registration deadlines are listed on the Academic Calendar.
- SIS non-degree course tuition is charged by the credit hour. Non-degree students will be invoiced and may pay their bill through the Student Accounts office.
- Non –degree students may not register for courses that require special permission from the instructor/department or courses that are restricted to a particular degree program.
- Non-degree students who wish to take a course with a pre-requisite must receive written approval from the instructor and provide this documentation to the SIS Graduate Advising office prior to registration.
- Non-degree students must maintain a 3.0 cumulative graduate GPA in order to take courses at SIS.
Applying Non-Degree Coursework at the School of International Service (SIS)
- Students may transfer in up to 12 credits of relevant coursework taken as a non-degree student toward a graduate degree program at SIS. Non-degree students who intend to apply to a graduate program at a future date and wish to discuss potential programs and/or selecting courses towards a particular program of study should contact that SIS Graduate Admissions office at 202-885-1646 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Completing coursework in non-degree status does not guarantee admission to a degree program. All non-degree students seeking admission to a degree program must complete the SIS application to a graduate program.
- All graduate courses taken at AU (including non-degree but not courses taken as part of a completed program) will be counted in a students cumulative graduate GPA, even if not counting towards the requirement of a graduate degree program.
SIS Graduate Advising