Applications for all Spring 2015 practica are now closed. Please check back in January for information about Summer and Fall 2015 practicum courses.
- Go the online Practicum Application Form. Fill out and submit the web form. (Link will be provided here in January).
- All SIS Masters students have been given access to a Blackboard site called "SIS Practicum Program." When you submit the web form, you will be directed to this Blackboard site. In the left side menu, click "Apply Now."
- To apply to a Practicum, click the course title in the list. On the submission page, upload a cover letter and resume using the "Attach File" link. DO NOT include any text in the Submission or Comment boxes. Please label your documents with your last name, first initial, and application component. For example, "SMITH_J_CoverLetter."
- Repeat Step 3 for ALL Practica to which you are applying. You may apply for as many Practica as you want. As with any job application, your cover letter and resume should be tailored to each Practicum.
**Non-SIS students do not have access to the Practicum Blackboard site. These students should email firstname.lastname@example.org to request access to the Blackboard site. Please note that all eligibility requirements (see below), including a minimum of 9 SIS credits, apply to non-SIS students.
Late applications will not be considered. No preference is given to applications submitted early; please take your time completing the application.
To be eligible to participate in an SIS Practicum, MA students must:
- be in good academic standing (including a 3.0 cumulative GPA)
- have completed 18 credits of graduate coursework prior to the semester in which they will participate in the Practicum
Dual-degree students (e.g. MA/MBA, JD/MA and KU/AU) must also:
- have completed at least 9 of the minimum 18 credits in SIS to be eligible to participate in a Practicum.
Students are eligible to apply for any Practicum, regardless of their particular MA program (e.g. an IPCR student may apply to a USFP Practicum).
Students in the online MAIR program have their own Practicum option and are not eligible for on-campus Practica. Click here for more information about capstone options for MAIR students.
Tips for a Successful Application
- Practicum applications consist of a cover letter and a resume. They should be approached as job applications.
- Your materials should focus on your skills, knowledge, and how you will add value to the client and the Practicum team.
- Attend an info session about the Practicum you are applying to in order to meet the professor, ask questions, and learn how to tailor your application. The full schedule of Practicum info sessions is here.
- Address your cover letter to the Practicum professor.
- For more tips on cover letters, resumes, and job applications, check out the resources at the AU Career Center:
- January 2015: Listing of Summer and Fall Practicum courses will be posted
- February 2015: Applications for Summer and Fall Practicum courses will be due
Once a student has accepted a place in a Practicum course, their place is reserved. Students will be enrolled by Graduate Academic Advising. Practicum courses should appear on students' Spring course schedules within one week of confirming their Practicum placement.
If you have any questions about the application process, please contact:
Stephanie Fischer, Executive-in-Residence
Director, Experiential Learning