SIS Independent Study Registration Information
Download the Independent Study Registration Form (PDF)
Fall 2012 Registration Deadline: September 10
* SIS-390 Independent Reading-with instructions from faculty (sophomores and juniors)
* SIS-490 Independent Study Project-topical research with faculty guidance (seniors)
* SIS-498 Senior Honors Thesis (seniors-University Honors students only)
An independent reading is a project in which a student completes a series of predetermined readings and submits work based on those readings.
An independent study project is a course in which a student does an independent research on a topic agreed upon by the student and faculty.
A Senior Honors Thesis is a substantial written work including original scholarly research under the oversight of a faculty member.
- Consult the AU Academic Calendar to review the independent study registration deadlines. You should work closely with your advisor well in advance of the registration deadline to discuss your planned project and how it will fit into your registration.
- Identify and contact an SIS faculty member regarding your planned independent project. Discuss your project with the faculty member and see if he/she would be open to working with you on the project.
- Develop an outline of your independent study project with the faculty member. This should contain both the work that you’ll be doing and how you’ll be graded for your work. Since each independent study is unique, it’s important that you and your faculty supervisor both know what will be expected of you in completing the project.
- Download and complete the Independent Study Registration Form. Provide a brief description of your independent study project on the registration form. Please note that the “project title” of the independent study cannot exceed 30 characters (including spaces).
- Have your faculty supervisor review and sign the form.
- Turn in the form to your Academic Advisor for approval by the end of the Add/Drop period.
- Your Academic Advisor will review your student’s Independent Study form to make sure all the necessary information is completed, will obtain the signature of the Dean/Department Chair, and will submit the completed form to be processed. The independent study your appear on your record within a few days.
- 3 credits of independent study or internship can apply towards the SIS major or minor requirement, any additional credits will count as elective credits.
- If you pursue an independent study in another department at AU (e.g. ECON-490, HIST-490, etc.) you will still need to obtain your academic advisor’s signature
- If you are in the Honors program, you have the option of completing an independent study for your Senior Capstone instead of completing a course. An independent study used to complete Honors Capstone does not count as the one independent study that can be used for SIS major.
- If you plan to conduct any part of your independent project outside the U.S that is not part of a Study Abroad program, you’ll need to complete some additional paperwork called the Undergraduate Global Practicum (UGP) [PDF]. Contact your Academic Advisor if you have any questions.
- If your research will involve human subjects in any way, you will need to receive approval from the Institutional Review Board (IRB). The IRB reviews all faculty and student proposals to ensure that they comply with legal and ethical standards.
Last updated: 27 March 2012