We are a team of student development professionals in the School of International Service. We inform undergraduate students about the curriculum and university regulations and assist them in developing their academic and professional goals. By providing a supportive environment, we give students the opportunity to succeed and grow into responsible global citizens.
How To Reach Us
Located in SIS 103
Fax: 202-885-2494 (Attention: SIS Undergraduate Advising)
Monday from 9 AM-1 PM and 4 PM-5 PM
Tuesday-Friday 9 AM-1 PM and 2 PM-5 PM
We utilize a team model. Students spend the first two years defining their interests and goals for college and exploring the thematic areas of the SIS major. As part of this process, peer advisors assist first-year students with creating four year plans.
After students declare their thematic areas, they work with a team of advisors that focuses on upper division requirements and career planning.
Our front desk staff can:
- grant certain prerequisite waivers
- explain general university policies and procedures
- discuss how to register for internships and independent studies
- determine whether your concern requires an appointment with an advisor
There is also an advisor on duty at all times that the office is open. The on call advisor can answer 5-10 minute "express advising" questions including:
- urgent personal issues
- final signatures on forms that students have already discussed with an advisor
- students who are considering taking a leave from the university
- confirming your intended schedule for next semester
- other quick questions
Complex personal issues and questions involving significant discussion are addressed in appointments. Some examples include:
- long-term academic planning
- study abroad preparation
- selecting a thematic area
- deciding on a study abroad program
- exploring a new major
Please start by visiting us during express advising. If we can't fully resolve your question, we will schedule an appointment for you.
Thinking about applying to SIS as an incoming freshman or transfer student? Please contact the Undergraduate Admissions Office for information about Preview Days, Day Visits, and campus tours. Questions about the undergraduate program can be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Last Update: 8 May 2015