Skip to main content
Expand AU Menu

Graduate Non-Degree Study

Non degree admission is available to anyone not currently enrolled in a degree program at the University. Applicants must have completed a bachelor's degree and meet the School's criteria for nondegree study may enroll in SOC courses.

Students must meet the pre-requisites, as described in the University Catalog, for each course before registering.

Non degree applications are processed by the AU Central Office. For more information and application instructions, please click here.

Students not eligible for nondegree status: students in the following categories ordinarily may not register in nondegree status:

  • Students currently enrolled as degree students in any of the member institutions of the Consortium of Universities of the Washington Metropolitan Area.
  • Students who have been admitted to and have not completed a degree program at American University.
  • Students who have been dismissed from American University or another college or university within the previous 12 months.
  • International students in F-1 or J-1 status.
  • Students who do not meet the SOC's English language requirement.

Academic Standards

Nondegree students are held to the same academic standards as degree students. Graduate students must maintain a 3.0 (B) average.

Admission to Degree Status

Students wishing to transfer from nondegree status, at American University, to graduate degree status must submit a formal application for admission. However, enrollment as a graduate nondegree student does not guarantee acceptance into a degree program. Up to 12 credit hours of graduate-level course work taken in nondegree status may be applied towards a graduate degree program.

To apply to a SOC graduate degree or certificate program, students must submit an application, supporting documents, and any required test scores to the graduate office.

Paying for Nondegree Classes

Students may pay for nondegree classes by check or money order at the Office of Students. More information about payment is available on the Registrar's page.

Unfortunately, students in nondegree status are not covered by Federal Financial Aid. To qualify for Federal Aid, students must be enrolled in a degree program.