Congratulations on your admission to American University's School of Communication!
This page provides answers to the most frequently asked questions by our newly admitted graduate students. We update this page frequently so check back often to ensure that you have the latest information regarding your transition to American University's School of Communication.
New Student Checklist
- Have you paid your seat deposit (you will need to have your AUID number ready)?
- Filled out a FAFSA form?
- Noted the start date for your program (some programs begin with a boot camp or IGP, please refer to your admissions email)
- Started exploring housing options?
- Looked through the schedule of classes to start planning for the upcoming semester?
- Summer Events:
Wednesday, June 10 Noon – 1:00 p.m.
Online Housing Information Session - Representatives from American University’s Off-Campus Housing Office will offer their best tips for locating off-campus housing
Thursday, July 9 5:00 – 7:00 p.m.
Graduate Advisor Extended Office Hours Meet with SOC's Graduate Advisor, Jean McGee, to discuss course registration, your program, elective options, etc.
(based on attendance, meetings may need to be limited to 10 minutes per student)
Wednesday, July 22 6:30 – 8:00 p.m.
Meet & Greet with Program Directors and Prospective Students at Bar Louie: Talk with SOC program directors and prospective students in a fun, informal setting, over non alcoholic drinks and appetizers
Monday, August 3 4:30 – 6:30 p.m.
Happy Hour with Current & Prospective SOC Grad Students at Tenley Gastropub: Talk to prospective and fellow incoming SOC students considering SOC, and about life as a grad student, over non alcoholic drinks and appetizers
- Check out our Admitted Students Day video from Saturday, March 28, 2015
- From this point on, all correspondence to you from the University will be sent to your american.edu email account. It is critical that you check your AU email regularly. You are responsible for information sent to that account, including wait list notifications.
- Your myau.american.edu portal contains a wealth of information – fees, registration and waitlist status, course schedules, etc.
Please do not hesitate to contact us at the SOC Graduate Office with any questions at 202-885-2040 or via email at email@example.com.
Follow this link for more helpful information to ease your transition to SOC.
What are Current Students Saying About SOC?
"The professors are active in the industry. I am getting an education based on real-world experience."
"The faculty are phenomenal!"
"You learn a lot in class and gain real-world experience."
"I feel as if I've learned more in one semester than I did in all of undergad!"
"I love the public comm graduate program at AU!"