Fall is finally upon us and with the changing colors comes a vibrant and full academic year. Students arrived back to campus at the end of August and in just six short weeks so many exciting activities have taken place. The beginning of the semester was marked with the School of Communication Building Celebration held on Friday, September 19, 2014. Close to 300 people attended including students, parents, faculty, staff, and alumni. It was so nice to see guests enjoying our new home and to be able to share with everyone the intricate details of the building that make the space accessible, innovative, and inviting to all.
The McKinley Building has created a learning environment vital to the ongoing success of our students. With more than 55,000 square feet and common space on each floor, students are choosing to spend their time inside McKinley to study, meet with professors, and make lasting memories with their friends.
Please know none of this would be possible without the support of so many of our alumni. Gifts continue to be made to the Campaign for SOC, and they are essential to reaching our fundraising goals. Each gift that we receive for the building invests in the academic future of SOC students. The impact of your support will be felt for decades to come. You can learn more about our ongoing naming opportunities and the state of the campaign by visiting the website. Thank you for your generosity and engagement with the life of SOC.
In addition to your philanthropic support, we hope you will be able to stay involved by participating in our many upcoming events. The month of October is full of exciting opportunities:
- The Entertainment and Media Alumni Alliance (EMAA) will be hosting a happy hour at LiLLiEs Restaurant following the Public Relations Society of America's 2014 International Conference in Washington, DC. The event will take place on October 13, 2014 from 6:00 –8:00 p.m. You can register and learn more about the event here.
- All-American Weekend festivities are just around the corner and SOC has numerous activities taking place on Saturday, October 18, 2014 in the McKinley Building.
- Join me for the Dean's Reception in the Media Innovation Lab from 11:00 a.m.–noon. Food and beverages will be provided.
- SOC student guided tours of the building will be offered starting outside the Media Innovation Lab. Tours begin at 11:30 a.m., 11:45 a.m., and noon.
- Hear from SOC faculty and alumni during the panel discussion, "The Impact of Your SOC Degree." This hour long panel will take place in the Malsi Doyle and Michael Forman Theater at 2:00 p.m. Followed by a brief reception. You will hear from journalism and strategic communication faculty members, as well as alumni currently working for the USO, BBC News and Hager Sharp.
This is an amazing time to be involved with SOC. The McKinley Building brings with it limitless possibilities to showcase the fabulous work of our students, faculty, alumni, and friends. I am delighted you are part of the SOC community and I hope to see you soon at one of our upcoming events.
Dean, School of Communication