- "Unintended Consequences of Crisis Public Diplomacy: America Public Diplomacy in the Arab World," Policy Brief, Foreign Policy in Focus, June 2003.
- "Repeat: Iraq is not a Modern Day Germany," op-ed, The Christian Science Monitor, August 21, 2003.
- "Winning Round Two of American Public Diplomacy in the Arab World," Global Affairs Commentary, Foreign Policy in Focus, June 13, 2003.
- "How the bin Laden Tape Played," Global Affairs Commentary, Foreign Policy in Focus, February 2003.
- Finding America's Voice in the Middle East," Global Affairs Commentary, Foreign Policy in Focus, April 2002.
- "American Public Diplomacy in the Arab and Muslim Worlds: A Strategic Communication Analysis," Policy Brief, Foreign Policy in Focus, November 2001.
- “The U.S. Credibility Deficit,” Foreign Policy in Focus, December 13, 2006.
- “The New Bin Laden Tape,” Op-ed, Counter Punch, February 12, 2003.
- “Israel’s Policy of Targeting Terrorists: Implications for the U.S.,” Policy Brief, Foreign Policy In Focus, Vol. 6, No. 32, September 2001.
- “The Plan to Remove Arafat,” Policy Brief, Foreign Policy In Focus, July 2001.
"Palestinian Public Relations - Inside and Out," [Co-authors: Ahmed Ibrahim Hammad, and Jane Masri], in K. Sriramesh and D. Vercic (Eds), The Handbook of Global Public Relations Theory, Research, and Practice, Vol. 2 (London: Routledge, 2009), pp. 220-242.
- "Al-Jazeera & American Public Diplomacy: A Dance of Intercultural Miscommunication," in Mohamed Zayani (ed.), Critical Perspectives on Al Jazeera, (London: Pluto Press, 2005), pp. 183-202.
- “From Propaganda to Public Diplomacy in an Information Age,” in Y. Kamalipour and Nancy Snow (Eds.), War, Media and Propaganda: A Global Perspective, (New York: Rowman and Littlefield, 2004), pp. 219-225.
- "Asymmetry of Cultural Styles & The Unintended Consequences of Crisis Public Diplomacy," in Intercultural Communication and Diplomacy (Malta: Mediterranean Academy of Diplomacy, 2004), pp. 133-142.
- “Toward an In-Awareness Approach to International Public Relations,” Public Relations Review 27 (2001), pp. 135-148.
- “Intercultural Communication and International Public Relations: Exploring Parallels,” Communication Quarterly 48 (2000), pp.85-100
- “A Public Relations Tour of Embassy Row: The Latin Diplomatic Experience,” (co-author, Juan Cristobal Villalobos), Public Relations Quarterly 45 (2000), pp.33-37
- "Managing Cross-Cultural Challenges: A Pre-K Lesson for Training in the Gaza Strip," Journal of Management Development, 15 (1996), pp. 80-92
- "Final Status: A Communication Perspective," Palestine-Israel Journal of Politics, Economics and Culture 3 (1996), pp.123-128
"Understanding Cultural Preferences of Arab Communication Patterns," Public Relations Review, 21 (1995), pp. 241-255.
- "The Palestinian Leadership & the American Media: Changing Images, Conflicting Results," in Y. Kamalipour (Ed.) The Middle East and the American Media (Chicago: Greenwood Press, 1995), pp. 37-49.
"The Ontological Function of Interpersonal Communication: A Cross-Cultural Analysis of Americans and Palestinians," Howard Journal of Communication, 3 (1991), pp. 87-98.
"Self-Shock: The Double-binding Challenge of Identity," International Journal of Intercultural Relations, 13 (1989), pp. 501-526.
- “Navigating Foreign Cultural Terrains,” U.S. Air Force, Strategic Operations School, Middle East Orientation Course, Hurlburt Field, FL, July 27, 2006.
- "Cultural Texture: Urban Warfare & Global Strategic Communication," Conference on the 'War of Ideas' & Global War on Terror, Naval Postgraduate School, Monterey, California, December 13-14, 2005.
- “A Global Tour of Public Diplomacy,” Cross-Cultural Communication Conference, Notre Dame University, Beirut, Lebanon, May 26, 2005.
- “Distortions of Culture: Americans in Iraq,” International Conference on Intercultural Communication and Diplomacy, Mediterranean Academy of Diplomacy, Malta, February 14, 2004.
- “Restoring America’s Image Abroad,” 15-member roundtable discussion chaired by former U.S. Secretary of State Madeleine K. Albright, William Davidson Institute, Washington, DC, December 2, 2003.
- “The Challenge of American Public Diplomacy,” Public Diplomacy Training Program, U.S. Department of State, Washington, DC, November 9, 2003.
- “New Trends in American Public Diplomacy,” George P. Shultz National Foreign Service Training Institute, Arlington, August 5, 2003.
- "Pros & Cons of Arm's Length Public Diplomacy," Symposium on Public Diplomacy, The Heritage Foundation, Washington, DC, July 10, 2003. [available online, Heritage Lectures, No. 817, January 13, 2004, pp. 22-25.]