Students explore Washington, D.C. through a variety of activities, including a baseball game, shopping in Georgetown, Jazz in the Sculpture Garden and tours of our nation's Capitol building.
After Hours and Weekend Activities
Activities will be updated when additional special events or opportunities become available. All listed activities are included in the housing and dining fee for two-week and four-week sessions.
Session 1 - Monday, June 26
• 1 pm - 4 pm Students fly into DCA or train into Union Station
• 1 pm - 4 pm Students living on campus check in and tour AU’s campus
• 6 pm Ice breakers, Pizza Welcome Dinner, Orientation to AU
Welcome to American University! Students living on campus arrive today. Those needing a ride from Reagan National Airport or Union Station should arrive between 12:00 p.m. and 4:00 p.m. After arrival, check into Anderson Hall. Then take a tour of the campus and participate in our pizza welcome dinner.
Tuesday, June 27
• 8:30 am Welcome Reception in McKinley for morning classes
• 12:30 pm Welcome reception in McKinley for afternoon classes
• Dinner at Z-Burger then stroll over to tour the National Cathedral
Students and parents are welcome to join us for the welcome reception on the first day of classes to meet their professors and teaching assistants. After classes are over, students will visit the National Cathedral, an aesthetically beautiful building, located in Northwest Washington, and just a short walk from the American University campus.
Wednesday, June 28
• Pick up a picnic dinner to enjoy in Lafayette Park
• Monuments at Night! Visit the White House, Lincoln Memorial, Washington Monument and other DC can't miss monuments
Thursday, June 29
• 4:30 p.m. American University info session, Katzen second floor.
• 6 - 9 p.m. Guest Speaker
Friday, June 30
• On campus activities
• Rain date for White House
Saturday, July 1
• Visit the Smithsonian National Zoological Park
Enjoy a Warm summer evening at the Smithsonian's National Zoo and explore the indoor and outdoor exhibits that feature over 2,000 mammals, birds, reptiles and more. Wander through the zoo grounds and see the famous pandas.
Sunday, July 2
• 10:30 a.m. Earth Conservation Corps
• 1:35 p.m. Washington Nationals baseball game
Monday, July 3
• BBQ and games on campus
Tuesday, July 4
• 4th of July in DC! Enjoy the Smithsonian Museums, the Folklife Festival and fireworks from the Washington Monument
Wednesday, July 5
• Enjoy historic Georgetown
• Movie premiere TBA
Thursday, July 6
• Kickball and Talent Show
Time to revisit your favorite gym class game… KICKBALL!!! That's right - we’ll be organizing a program-wide kickball game on an official NCAA-size baseball field. The winners of the kickball game will get bragging rights. Then it's time for the DWC Talent Show - the perfect opportunity to show off your skills and creativity.
Friday, July 7
• 9:00 am Presentations & Screenings (Families Welcome)
• 12:00 pm Session 1 students check out and depart
• 6:00 pm Remaining students attend a film screening.
Today is the day we have all been waiting for; the showcase of all your work! Students, friends and families are invited to join us on campus at American University at 9:00 a.m. to hear presentations, watch student films, view photography and share experiences from session one of Discover the World of Communication.