Adjunct Professorial Lecturer
Department of Government
Additional Positions at AU
Adjunct Professor, Washington College of Law 2003-2004.
Lara Schwartz is the Senior Counsel and Courts Matter Director at Media Matters for America. She has spent over a decade in civil rights and progressive policy as a lawyer, communications strategist, and writer. Previously, she served as Legal Director at the Human Rights Campaign, Vice President of External Affairs at the American Association of People with Disabilities, and as a consultant and writer for numerous civil rights organizations. She was a member of the litigation practices at Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher, & Flom LLP and Gilbert, Heintz, & Randolph, LLP. After graduating from Harvard Law School in 1998, Lara served as a law clerk to the Honorable Ronald Lee Gilman on the United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit.
AB, English and American Literature, Brown University 1993
JD Harvard Law School 1998
Book Currently Reading: A Place of Greater Safety
Languages Spoken: English
DOWNLOAD FULL BIO (PDF)
FOR THE MEDIA
To request an interview for a
news story, call AU Communications
at 202-885-5950 or submit a request.
Scholarly, Creative & Professional Activities
- Brookings Institution: “Same-Sex Marriage and Religious Liberty: A Reconciliation,” March 12, 2009.
- Kojo Nnamdi Show January 31, 2011 “Online Parenting Wars.”
- American Constitution Society 2008 Annual Convention-- Panel session: Rights in Conflict: Sexual Orientation, Gender Identity and Religious Liberty; Rights in Conflict: Sexual Orientation, Gender Identity and Religious Liberty (Windows Media Player).
- Diane Rehm Show, May 2003 and September 2009.
- CNN Situation Room 2009, and other appearances on CNN and MSNBC.
- C-Span Washington Journal, California Supreme Court’s marriage equality decision May 16, 2008.
- Federalist Society Panel Discussion: Gay Marriage and the Role of the Judiciary, October 23, 2008.
- Federalist Society online Debate Series Hate Crimes Legislation, August 17, 2009.
- Concerned Women for America Convention 2004.
- Numerous appearances on radio programs around the country.
- Justice Talking (NPR) - Gay Marriage, August 30, 2004.
- House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform, Subcommittee on Federal Workforce, Postal Service, and District of Columbia. “Ensuring a merit-based employment system: an examination of the Merit Systems Protection Board and the Office of Special Counsel.” July 12, 2007.
- “No Forsaking our Core Principles.” Legal Times, May 26, 2008.
- "Straight Talk about Hate Crimes Bills: Anti-Gay, Anti-Transgender Bias Stalls Federal Hate Crimes Legislation," Georgetown Journal of Gender & the Law 7, 2006, p. 171-186.
- Dozens of ghost-written op eds.
- Member (inactive) of the bars of the District of Columbia, Maryland, and the United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth and Fourth Circuits.