2015 Scheduled Speakers and Topics: Transform, Integrate, Motivate
The Key Executive Leadership Program is pleased to present the following speakers and topics for the 2015 Key Executive Leadership Speaker Series under the theme "Transform, Integrate, Motivate":
Tuesday, September 15, 2015 from 6:00 p.m.- 8:00 p.m., Watkins Building, room G12
Speaker: Dr. Reginald Wells, Chief Human Capital Officer & Deputy Commissioner, Social Security Administration (SSA)
Title: LEAP into the Future
Topic: Succession Planning
LIVE STREAMING LINK: https://www.ustream.tv/channel/key-executive-leadership-program
Succession planning is a top concern of leaders across government. Federal leadership faces the challenge of recruiting, retaining, and developing current and future leaders in a fiscal climate marked by tight budgets, furloughs and government shutdowns. In the face of increasingly complex and demanding realities, it is more important than ever for us to have current and future leaders with the right competencies, in the right places, at the right times to achieve agency missions.
In this context, agencies across government are under enormous pressure to reduce costs and increase savings. However, we must balance this obligation with our fiduciary duty to invest in leadership development and succession as a strategic necessity. Even in times of stringent budgetary constraints, it is essential to be forward thinking. We must meet the needs of the present without compromising our ability to meet the needs of future generations.
Moreover, demographic shifts and advances in technology will continue to affect the new workforce, and, in turn, will drive our approach toward managing succession effectively to meet business needs. Thus, it is of upmost importance to understand the 21st century workforce as we develop strategies to ensure a sustainable and competent leadership cadre and pipeline. Effectuating relevant and agile succession planning frameworks will enable us to LEAP into a more promising future.
Saturday, October 17, 2015 from 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.
Speaker: Dr. Donald Zauderer, American University
Title: Let's Think Political: Using High Integrity Influence Tactics to Achieve Goals
Many professionals are skilled and visionary, yet they are often stymied by resistance to new ideas, power plays, deceptions, and sabotage. This workshop provides cutting edge strategies for succeeding in the face of challenges to your reputation, initiatives or career goals. You will leave this workshop understanding how to shape a politically astute style that honors principles of integrity and strengthens your impact in advancing change and a successful career.
Among the subjects covered are:
- What are your own assumptions and beliefs about politics
- Why does human nature precipitate unhealthy politics
- How to discover the "buzz" on you and manage your identity
- How to detect deception and misleading information from adversaries
- How to communicate persuasively
- How to build a network of allies and promote your ideas
- How to decipher unwritten organizational rules
- How to use political tactics to enhance your influence
Key Reasons to Attend
- Provides a stimulating environment for Key current students and alumni, which is conducive for continued intellectual and professional growth.
- Cultivates professional connections between current students, alumni, faculty and staff.
- Supplements your Key experience with subject matter relevant to improved leadership in the public sector.
- Current students and alumni are eligible to receive a certificate of completion for attending at least six seminars within a two year period.
- Allows the Key Executive Leadership Program to reciprocate the support and serve the public good.