On October 9, SPA will host the first-of-its-kind national bus tour meant to engage Americans about the nation's deteriorating financial condition — and show them what they can do to help restore fiscal responsibility. The event will take place at Mary Graydon Center at 4:00 p.m.
The "$10 Million a Minute Tour" aims to help voters understand that the U.S. could face a fiscal cliff in January 2013 and a possible U.S. debt crisis within the next two years. It is estimated that every minute, our nation's financial hole gets deeper by about $10 million.
This current fiscal path puts at risk: jobs, education, health care, retirement, infrastructure, national security, mortgage rates, an effective social safety net to prevent more poverty, and the success or failure of thousands of businesses.
The tour is hosted by the Comeback America Initiative (CAI) lead by David M. Walker, former U.S. Comptroller General. CAI has also developed a U.S. Financial Burden Barometer (Burden Barometer) to supplement the "National Debt Clock." The Burden Barometer is a far more accurate measure of our financial situation, since it includes both total liabilities and unfunded promises (e.g., Social Security and Medicare).
"We are at a crossroads in America. Our political leaders can keep hiding their heads in the sand and continue toward economic catastrophe. Or, they can take an honest look at our situation, and lead us by pursuing nonpartisan solutions, that can address our challenges in an effective, equitable, moral and sustainable manner," said Walker.
Walker will kick off the tour in Manchester, New Hampshire, on September 7. From there, the bus will make its way to New York City, then on to at least 16 states, including swing states and key districts.
A who's who of national leaders support the tour, including:
- Former senators Alan Simpson (R-WY), Pete Domenici (R-NM), Sam Nunn (D-GA), and Judd Gregg (R-NH)
- Former representatives Harold Ford, Jr. (D-TN) and Tom Coleman (R-MO)
- Honorable Erskine Bowles
- Former director of the OMB and CBO Alice Rivlin
- Former chairmen of the Federal Reserve Alan Greenspan and Paul Volcker
- Former DNC chairs and governors Ed Rendell and Roy Romer
- Former RNC chairs and senators Bill Brock and Mel Martinez
- Former presidential candidate H. Ross Perot Sr.
- Former AARP CEO Bill Novelli
- Former Lockheed Martin CEO Norm Augustine
- Former SEIU CEO Andy Stern
- Former Deloitte CEO Mike Cook
- Sojourners CEO Rev. Jim Wallis
- Former HP CEO Carly Fiorina.
Walker will be joined by various other fiscal experts at various stops on the tour. Visit the bus tour's Web site, www.10MillionaMinute.com, for graphics of the Burden Barometer, a full list of high-profile bus tour supporters, and the tour itinerary.