Your Washington Semester Program experience is based on a seminar and an internship that is related to your field of interest.
Immersive Seminar 1 or 3 credits
In the seminar, you will learn how to leverage past work and internship experiences with skill-building opportunities through in-depth career training, along with sessions focused on:
- Social Media: what to do and what not to do to boost your professional profile
- Identify your strengths and making employers aware of them
- Career opportunities in and out of the Federal Government
- Network in Washington, DC, your industry, and beyond
- Oral and written communication skills for the workplace
You have options. Choose either a 1 or 3 credit program, which includes your internship and the Professional Development in DC seminar. The only difference between the 1 and 3 credit program is that the 3 credit program seminar includes guest speakers and site visits that provide access to DC organizations and leaders. The experiential component of this course will be determined by the career interests of students in the course.
No matter what your career interests or college major, with the diverse range of organizations, businesses, and Fortune 500 companies in the DC area, you will have an internship that fits your career plans and academic goals.
With our unsurpassed experience working with college students, we pride ourselves on professional internships in which you will gain career knowledge of an organization or industry, as well as practical knowledge of a field. You will expand your network and acquire valuable experience that distinguishes you from other students - at your home college and in future internships and jobs.
The Internship Advisor will coach you on:
- your resume and cover letter
- strategies for using our program's contacts to approach potential internship sites
- interview and follow-up skills
You should expect to interview over the phone, via Skype or in person to secure your summer internship prior to arrival in DC. To learn more about the process of acquiring an internship, please visit the Internships page.
You will create a comprehensive portfolio of your internship and seminar experiences at the end of the term.