"Not only do I feel as if I have a greater awareness of opportunities available to me and to Native students, but I feel better prepared to take advantage of those opportunities, which is just as important, if not more."
Bobby Joe Smith III
Applications are accepted and reviewed on a rolling basis. Apply early for the best opportunities.General priority deadlines:
Fall: First Friday in June
Spring: First Friday in October
Summer: First Friday in February
*WINS now offers a later start date for the summer session to accommodate students attending institutions operating on quarter system calendars. Only students attending schools operating with quarter system calendars may start late. Please check with WINS for more information about dates and program details.
Application materials include:
- A completed WINS application form
- An essay (minimum 500 words) on why the applicant would like to participate in the WINS program (also email it to firstname.lastname@example.org)
- A resume detailing the applicant's work experience (also email it to email@example.com)
- A nomination letter from a member of the applicant's nation or tribal council or tribal education department
- Recommendation letter from a faculty member at the applicant's college or university
- Tribal Enrollment Card or parents' Card (if applicable)
- Official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended with a minimum 2.5 GPA (students are required to show full-time enrollment and/or graduation within the last 6 months)
Click here to go to the WINS Web-based application
You may call the WINS program directly at 202-895-4900 to request that an application be mailed to you or you may submit your request via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.