Over the summer OIT will begin four key technology upgrades and complete three by fall.
myAU.american.edu Portal Phase 2 Goals
- Dynamically target content (such as links, announcements, services) throughout the new portal to personalize your user experience to your role or roles at the university. Every campus user will automatically be assigned a primary role, such as “staff.” The portal also will support additional roles, such as parent, student, alumnus.
- Introduce new tools to enable collaboration with others in the AU community via “team sites.”
- Provide a new student self-registration system for incoming students and give academic advisors more “advising time.” The myAU portal will enable students to self-register online rather than through their academic advisors. The advising aspect of the process will not be compromised. Students will be required to communicate intended class schedules to their advisors before self-registering, enabling advisors to guide students before they are formally matriculated. Auto-registration is expected to free between 11 and 32 weeks of academic advisors’ administrative time for the fall semester. The auto-registration system is in place for transfer students. Early decision freshmen can start registering on May 26 and regular decision students on June 1.
Note: While some Phase 2 work has begun, final implementation is expected to take a year.
Impulse SafeConnect NAC Implementation
- AU’s current Network Access Control (NAC) solution, known as Cisco Clean Access (CCA) or Cisco NAC, will be replaced by Impulse Safe•Connect in a phased process over the summer.
- All work will be completed for the fall semester.
- Safe•Connect will provide a more stable environment than Cisco NAC, as well as a simplified user experience and better support for new operating systems, anti-virus and anti-spyware products, and hardware devices.
Business Intelligence Research Grants Reporting
- In 2010, AU’s Research Grants Infrastructure Task Force recommended that funded faculty be provided with reports and data to help with grant management.
- The new Research Grants Reporting Project, expected to launch in July, will consolidate essential account information from Datatel in a timely manner and include: expenses, salaries, and fringe benefits.
- An action plan was developed to implement a data mart that uses and extends AU’s new Business Intelligence (BI) reporting infrastructure over a span of six to seven months.
EagleSecure Wireless Network Upgrade
- Installation and setup of AU’s improved wireless network has begun. Eaglesecure will support higher connection speeds, provide more bandwidth, and offer better coverage than its predecessor, eaglenet.
- Over the past several years, daily wireless network use has grown to more than 3,000 concurrent users, Eaglesecure will better serve the growing needs of the university. The transition to eaglesecure will be completed over the summer. When the transition is complete, eaglenet will be discontinued.
Please contact the IT Help Desk at 202-885-2550, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or on instant messenger at AskAmericanUHelp for information on any of these initiatives.