Greetings and Welcome to American University
New Student Summer 2013 E-mail Series: Message One
Technology plays an important role in supporting your academic success at American University (AU). You will use technology throughout your day to perform a variety of tasks, including: communicating with your family and friends via instant messaging or e-mail, using the Internet over our wired and wireless networks all over campus, managing your administrative information via the myAU.american.edu portal, accessing online course information, and engaging in online discussions to supplement your in-class learning experiences.
To help you become acquainted with AU-specific technologies, the Office of Information Technology will send you five more e-mail messages between now and the start of the semester. These e-mail messages will tell you how to:
- Access your personalized AU e-mail address or forward it to your preferred e-mail address.
- Get recommendations on purchasing computers, mobile phones, software, and other equipment at an academic discount; as well as a list of what features you will need to take full advantage of the technology services at AU.
- Allow others, such as a parent or guardian, to enjoy customized access to your academic and financial information through the portal.
- Prepare your computer to get connected to the Internet quickly and easily, whether you use the wired or wireless connection; and learn how to protect your computer from viruses and other threats.
- Get answers to your technology questions and help connecting to AU's wired and wireless networks.
Important: Please note that the next e-mail message will be sent to you at this address, but subsequent messages will be sent to your AU e-mail address. If you have not already done so, be sure to go to https://my.american.edu/content3.cfm?load=apps/tech/accountCreation/accountCreation-select.cfm and follow the on-screen instructions to create your AU computer accounts. Then, once your account has created and you have logged in, click on the NEW FIRST-YEAR STUDENT CHECKLIST link under the LIFE@AU section. You can then select the appropriate checklist to guide you through the tasks that must be completed before you arrive in August.
If you ever have a technology-related question, you may contact AU's Help Desk by phone at (202) 885-2550, e-mail at email@example.com, or instant message AskAmericanUHelp. You can also access step-by-step instructions from our website at www.american.edu/oit.
We look forward to seeing you at one of the summer New Student Orientation sessions, as well as at the 2013 Technology Fair in the fall!
Chief Information Officer