Granting Your Parents Access To Your Portal Information
New Student Summer 2014 E-mail Series: Message Four
You should never share your AU account information with anyone else, not even your parents. However, you may want a convenient way to share your academic and financial information with them... or at least give them an easy way to add more EagleBucks to your account!
If you wish, you can grant your parents, guardians, or others the ability to access your academic and administrative information through a special "account" on the portal. You may create a separate user name for each individual and specify the level of access you authorize for him or her. To protect your privacy, the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act requires us to obtain your permission before sharing your educational records.
To grant access, follow the steps below:
- Log in to myau.american.edu with your USER NAME and PASSWORD.
- Click on the ACADEMICS link in the personalized links section to expand the options.
- Select AUTHORIZE ACCESS TO MY DATA.
- Select the individual's name from the list provided (if you do not see him or her, click ADD SOMEONE ELSE TO MY LIST and follow the instructions).
- Create a USER NAME and PASSWORD for that individual. (Note: This type of user name always begins with "myau_" and the password must be at least six characters.)
- Check the boxes to indicate what you want this person to see.
- Click on the AUTHORIZE button. When the process is complete, you will receive an e-mail message verifying the user name.
- Share the assigned user name and password with this individual.
That's it! When the person you authorized logs in to the portal with the user name and password you created, they will see only the links that you enabled for them. You can modify the access level at any time by checking and unchecking the items available.
You can also contact the Help Desk to have the password reset or to have the account deleted. These accounts are yours to manage, and the Help Desk will only reset the passwords for you or the account holder.
This is the fourth in a series of e-mail messages that will introduce you to important technology services at American University. You can view previous messages and other tips for New Students by visiting www.american.edu/technology/newstudents. Click on the SUMMER 2014 E-MAIL SERIES link. Enjoy your summer.
IT Help Desk
Office of Information Technology