This award is given to a staff member or group who demonstrated respect for all differences (e.g., race, gender, ethnic background, disability, sexual orientation, age, career level, style, and opinion).
Demonstrated a combination of the following
- Promoted global sensitivity by continuously working to increase knowledge and understanding of other backgrounds, orientations, experiences, cultures, and countries.
- Created an atmosphere in which others felt accepted and invited to participate and bring their unique perspectives.
- Was open to diverse perspectives.
- Refrained from behavior or language that is exclusionary or offensive in nature.
- Ensured that all members of his or her group had the opportunity to contribute to the discussion or process.
- Removed barriers for those who are different from the population majority by helping colleagues understand and become more comfortable with differences.
- Actively sought input from people with different backgrounds to his or her own.
- Recognized that a person’s experience as a minority in the community is different from the experience as a majority.
- Avoided going to the same people for input or to delegate important assignments; considered others who would benefit from the opportunity and who would offer a unique perspective.