Skip to main content

Military & Veteran Community

VA Education Benefits/VA Certification

The Department of Veterans Affairs administers several education programs for active duty/reserve service members, veterans, and dependents. Each program provides different benefits for different individuals. For additional information, please contact a VA Education and Training representative at 1-888-442-4551 (GIBILL1), or visit their website.

If you have not yet applied for VA Education Benefits, you must submit VA Form 22-1990 Application for VA Education Benefits (active duty servicemembers and veterans), or VA Form 22-1990E Application for Family Member to Use Transferred Benefits (dependents). For those applying for CH. 35 Survivors' and Dependents' Educational Assistance, you must submit VA Form 22-5490 Dependents' Application for VA Education Benefits.

Please contact Veterans Services prior to registration to go over your respective program's cost of attendance.

Veterans Services is located in AU Central in the Asbury Building, Room 201.

Please direct all inquiries to:

How The CH. 33 Post 9/11 GI BILL Will Be Applied at AU

GI BILL Comparison Tool

The VA academic calendar year runs from August 1st - July 31st every year.

  • During this period students who have been awarded or, transferred over the CH. 33 Post 9/11 GI BILL will have a set base benefit amount that can be used to cover the cost of attendance.
  • Once this base benefit amount has been exhausted for the respective VA academic calendar year, the student will no longer have funding to use until the beginning of the new VA academic calendar year.

Certifying Your Enrollment (For All VA Educational Benefits)

If you have used your VA Educational Benefit at another institution, you must submit the VA Form 22-1995 Request for Change of Program or Place of Training, or VA Form 22-5495 (for those using CH. 35 Survivors' and Dependents' Educational Assistance only).

  1. Veterans Services will need a copy of your Certificate of Eligibility, or, VA Form 28-1905, (for those using CH. 31 Vocational Rehabilitation & Education), to certify your enrollment with the VA.

  2. After Veterans Services has received your Certificate of Eligibility or VA Form 28-1905, and you have enrolled in courses, you will need to submit a Request for VA Certification of Enrollment. (This request must be submitted EVERY SEMESTER you want to use your VA Education Benefit).

    Request for VA certification of enrollment

  3. Your enrollment will be certified with the VA after Veterans Services has received this request.

Yellow Ribbon Program

Please Note: To participate in the Yellow Ribbon Program, you must be 100% eligible for the CH. 33 Post 9/11 GI BILL. You must be a veteran or, dependent who has been awarded or, transferred over the CH. 33 Post 9/11 GI BILL, and not currently serving on active duty or, be a spouse of an active duty service member. You must also adhere to all university guidelines and be in good academic standing.

2016-2017 AU Yellow Ribbon Program

Degree Level Maximum # of Students Maximum AU & VA Contribution Amount Total
Undergraduate 350 $23,200.00
Graduate Unlimited $21,000.00
Law Unlimited $31,045.54

Additional information about the university's Yellow Ribbon Program and to apply

Additional information about the Yellow Ribbon Program