More than 14,000 undergraduate, graduate, and law students
American University is a student-centered research institution located in Washington, DC, with highly-ranked schools and colleges, internationally-renowned faculty, and a reputation for creating meaningful change in the world. Our students distinguish themselves for their service, leadership, and ability to rethink global and domestic challenges and opportunities.
93 percent of AU faculty hold the highest degree in their field
- AU’s distinguished faculty includes former ambassadors, elected officials, and winners of Oscars, Emmys, Pulitzers, and the National Book Award.
- 94 percent of AU faculty hold the highest degree in their field.
- Based on prestigious scholarship and competition results reported in May 2017, more than 250 AU faculty participated as Merit Award mentors during the past year.
- 44 percent of new tenure-line faculty were people of color in Fall 2017—one in four of them African American.
- Faculty work is being sponsored by many of the most prestigious funders in the country, including the John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation, the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, the Ford Foundation, the National Institutes of Health, the National Science Foundation, and the National Endowment for the Arts.
- AU is a top-producer of Fulbright Scholars (12 in 2017). Two juniors were named Truman Scholars that same year, making AU one of only seven institutions with more than one recipient of a Truman Scholarship. AU had two Rhodes Scholarship finalists in 2018.
- In 2017 AU was a top-producer of Boren Scholars and Fellows (No. 1); Presidential Management Fellows (No. 4); and Udall Scholars (No. 2).
- American University is ranked 12th in the nation by institutional type and the percentage of undergraduates who studied abroad, according to 2019 data from Open Doors.
- Academic offerings include 79 bachelor’s, 89 master’s, and 11 doctoral degrees, plus the Washington College of Law’s JD, MLS, LLM, and SJD programs. Additionally, students have the opportunity to create individualized interdisciplinary programs at the bachelor’s level.
- AU offers more than 20 online master’s degrees and graduate certificates.
- 93 percent of all reporting graduates showed positive employment or graduate school outcomes six months after graduation.
- Outcomes for those with master’s degrees are similarly positive, with 93 percent overall having positive employment or graduate school outcomes.
- 95 percent of the AU Career Center population reported a positive outcome, with a response rate of 80 percent for recipients of master’s degrees.
- Unique among universities in its peer group, it possesses an A1 Moody’s rating and an A+ S&P rating.