|Application Deadlines||Study Term|
Fall Semester (August - December)
Spring Semester (January - May)
*Please note that ALL application materials must be received in the Abroad at AU office by the application deadline*
Completing the Application
Step 1: Be approved through one of our partner organizations or institutions to study abroad for a semester or year
Check to see if your home institution is one of our partners.
Step 2: Submitting the Online Application
- Use the correct application form - Abroad at AU Application - and click the "Apply Now" button on the right to start.
- Use your name exactly as it appears on your passport.
- Use an email address that you regularly access and has a large capacity as an application log-in and all correspondence from our office will go to this email.
- You will receive a temporary log-in that you will need to use within 1 day to set your permanent password and complete the application.
- When entering information about your "Home" or "Permanent Home Address" use the address you live at when you are not at school. This is mostly likely your parent's house.
- When entering information about your "Current Mailing Address" use the address you live at while you are attending your home university, NOT American University's address. This is often also your permanent home address.
- Please ensure the citizenship information is entered correctly. Use the name of the country you are a citizen of, if you are a citizen of multiple countries list all.
- Do not fill out the section on current visa information if you have a tourist (B) visa. You need to fill out this information if you have a student visa from a different program or another non-tourist visa to the United States.
- You will be taken to your application page that lists all additional Material Submissions and Questionnaires you must finish before your application is considered complete.
Step 3: Send all remaining documents to the Abroad at AU Office
- Signature Verification Form (document is downloaded from online Abroad at AU application)
- A clear copy of the photo/identification page of your passport.
- Official transcript from the university you currently attend (if the transcript is not in English, you will also need to provide a certified English translation including the course titles, grades and credits)
- One letter of recommendation from an academic professor (with his/her signature) on official university letterhead.
- Proof of English language proficiency based on one of the tests listed below. Official score reports can be sent directly from the testing agency upon request.
- TOEFL (minimum: 80 IBT overall and at least 18 on each sub-section). Institutional code: 5007
- IELTS (minimum 6.5)
- Pearson Test of English - Academic (minimum: 59). Program code: X1Q-50-14
- SAT I Reasoning Test (minimum: 530 Verbal). Institutional code: 5007.
- SAT II Subject Test (minimum 970 English Proficiency). Institutional code: 5007
- A grade of C or above in two academic English writing courses. This option is only available for students from the American University of Sharjah, the American University in Cairo, the American University of Beirut, and the American University of Nigeria (Yola).
- Financial Documents. All students are required to demonstrate financial ability to pay for their academic and living expenses before being issued an immigration document (DS-2019) by American University. Additionally, a deposit is required before any immigration document is issued.
- Financial documents must show available liquidable funds and must be in English and dated within the past three months. The bank documents must be accompanied by a completed
- Certification of Finances for International Students (CFIS) Form. Please use the sample CFIS form to complete the document, and see the samples one, two and three of acceptable financial documents under Quick Links at the top of the page.
Once we have received all materials from steps 2 and 3 of the application instructions above your application to Abroad at AU is complete. You will receive an email from our office when your application is complete. We will review your completed application and email a final admission decision. It normally takes 2-3 weeks from the time we receive a completed application to notify the student of our decision.
Supplemental materials should be mailed by post to the Abroad at AU Office. The documents must be originals (no copies) and addressed to:
AU Abroad-Abroad at AU Office
4400 Massachusetts Ave, NW
Washington, DC 20016-8039