American University (AU) welcomes applications from home-schooled students. Home-schooled applicants are considered equally to students with more traditional schooling for admission, scholarships and entrance into the AU Honors Program.
In addition to submitting a completed admission application, we do require/recommend additional information for home-schooled applicants:
- The Common Application School Report or the following is required:
- A description of why home-schooling was chosen for the applicant and the home-school philosophy.
- A detailed description of curriculum-which may include texts read, course titles and descriptions, skill levels completed, grades received or performance evaluation. If curriculum has been supplemented by formal coursework either at the secondary or postsecondary level, official transcripts from the school(s) or college(s) are required.
- At least two SAT Subject Tests are recommended but not required.
- An additional letter of recommendation is recommended but not required. All applicants to AU are required to submit two letters of recommendation. We recommend that home-schooled applicants submit a third letter of recommendation. Ideally the first letter of recommendation will come from the primary instructor, which may be a parent or guardian. The additional letters of recommendation may come from other instructors or recommenders that can speak of the applicant in an academic or personal context.
After reviewing a student's application, we may need more information. In such cases, we will follow up with the applicant individually.
If you have any questions about applying as a home-schooled applicant, please feel free to contact us.