You are here: Guaranteed Admission Agreements

Back to top

What guaranteed admission agreements does AU offer?

American University is in the process of creating guaranteed admission agreements with two-year institutions. These agreements offer students the opportunity to earn an Associate's degree at a two-year school, and earn a Bachelor's degree at American University with an additional two or more years of study. These articulation agreements guarantee admission to AU for students who complete their Associate's degree and adhere to the following requirements (please note that not all Associate's degrees are included in these agreements. Check the agreement for your institution to determine eligibility):

  1. Upon completion of 15 credit hours (and no more than 45 credit hours) at the community college, students may submit a Letter of Intent by October 1 the year prior to transfer.
  2. Have a cumulative GPA of at least 3.0 grade point average based on a 4.0 scale, at the time of admission.
  3. Adhere to the student conduct codes of both the community college and American University.
  4. Meet AU's university mathematics requirement and writing requirement for transfer students.
  5. Complete an Associate's degree while remaining continuously enrolled at the two-year institution.
  6. Submit an application and transcripts by February 1 for Fall admission.
  7. Apply for financial aid with the Office of Financial Aid by February 1 for Fall admission.

Signed Guaranteed Admission Agreements

Guaranteed Admission Agreement Frequently Asked Questions

What is a guaranteed admission agreement?

A Guaranteed Admission Agreement is an arrangement between a two-year institution and a four-year institution to provide a clear pathway of transfer for academically talented students. These agreements are also known as 2+2 agreements, as it is intended that the student will complete two years at a community college and two years at a four-year institution, and earn a Bachelor's degree. Students who meet the qualifications for admission at AU and who adhere to the requirements of the agreement will essentially be guaranteed admission as a student with Junior standing.

What are the benefits of this agreement?

  • Students matriculating to AU under this agreement are guaranteed that all 60 credits earned through their Associate's degree will transfer towards their AU degree. See exceptions below.*
  • Completion of an Associate's degree will satisfy the AU General Education requirements; students come to AU as an upper division student, having met the lower division requirements. See exceptions below.*
  • Students with a cumulative GPA of 3.5 or above on a 4.0 scale at the time of admission will qualify for priority registration.
  • Once a student has signed a Letter of Intent, they may start working with an AU academic advisor in the discipline in which they intend to study. This allows the student to tailor their courses at the community college to prepare them for study at AU.

How does this differ from general transfer to AU?

Traditionally, students who intend to transfer to AU are not required to complete an Associate's degree. Additionally, any credits earned by prospective transfer students are not guaranteed to transfer towards their AU degree and are subject to a course-by-course equivalency review. Conversely, students who transfer to AU under this agreement fulfill their general education requirements through completion of their Associate's degree.

My school has a guaranteed admission agreement with AU. How do I get started with this program?

The first step is to sign a Letter of Intent after you have completed 15 credit hours. This is a non-binding agreement and will inform AU of your intent to matriculate upon completion of your Associate's degree. You may inform us at any time if you have changed your mind about attending AU without any negative implications.

You should also contact your transfer services center to find out how the process works at your community college. Please note that the agreements vary by institution and not all Associate's degrees are included.

If I transfer under this agreement, will I have to retake any general education courses?

No. According to the terms of this agreement, completing the Associate's degree at your two-year institution will satisfy AU's General Education requirements. Please note that not every Associate's degree from an institution is included in this agreement.  

Please read the agreement for your institution carefully; some institutions have specific terms regarding the maximum number of credits transferred and the policy for GenEd requirements. Not all agreements will automatically fulfill the AU GenEd requirement.

What about math and writing courses, will I need to retake them at AU?

This depends. All transfer students must meet the writing and math requirements by passing proficiency exams or enrolling in courses at AU. Please refer to the academic regulations and the requirements for transfer students.

What is the minimum GPA required for transfer under this agreement?

Students must have a cumulative GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale at the time of admission in order to be admitted under the terms of this agreement. If students have less than a 3.0 cumulative GPA at the time of admission they will be considered for admission as a general transfer student and will not be eligible for the benefits offered by this program.

Am I still eligible for financial aid?

Yes. Students applying for admission under this agreement are eligible for the same types of financial aid as a traditional transfer student.

When will I be informed of my admission and financial aid package?

Applications for admission and applications for financial aid are due February 1st prior to the Fall in which the student plans to matriculate at AU. Applicants will be notified of the decision by March 1st. Please note that this deadline is different than the general transfer application deadline.

What courses should I take at my community college?

You should follow the course plan for your Associate's degree. However, once you begin to work with an academic advisor at AU, you may want to modify your course plan so that you are better prepared for the major you intend to pursue. Students are encouraged to review the course sequencing for their intended major so they can map their four years of study.

Will I be able to complete my Bachelor's degree with my Associate's degree plus an additional 60 credits at AU?

It depends. Some majors at AU will require coursework that goes beyond the 120 credit total. Or, if you plan to double major or minor, you may need to take more than 60 credits at AU. You should discuss your plans with your community college academic advisor and your AU academic advisor so an accurate course plan can be mapped out for you.

What if I decide not to come to AU?

The Letter of Intent is non-binding and prospective students are not required to attend AU if it has been submitted. However, if you decide not to matriculate to AU, we ask that you notify us.