Looking for ways to reconnect with your alma mater? Interested in helping make key decisions about programming and outreach to your fellow Eagles? The American University Alumni Board is currently accepting applications for the 2020-22 term.
Joining the Alumni Board is an excellent way to hone leadership skills, help shape the future of AU, and most importantly, give back. “Serving on the AUAB is a great way to stay engaged with AU and with our alumni community. We seek energetic, committed Eagles to join the board,” says board president Rob Johnson, SPA/BA ’81.
While the nominations process is extremely competitive, membership is very rewarding. Members play an active role in guiding the efforts and initiatives of the Office of Alumni Relations and serve as key ambassadors for AU. Here are the details:
• The deadline to apply is Wednesday, September 18.
• Each term of office is two years, and each member may serve up to two consecutive terms.
• Board members attend four meetings in DC per year and serve both as stewards to and for the general alumni body.
• Meetings are held typically held during business hours.
• Members represent the Alumni Board at AU events, promote the university among their personal networks, and make gifts of at least $2,000 per two-year term.
• All AU graduates are eligible to apply.
• New board members will assume responsibilities in January 2020.
Following the nominations period, a committee of current board members reviews applications and presents a slate of nominees to the board president for approval and appointment. Committee Chair Amy Lampert, SOC/BA ’94, encourages anyone who wants to get more involved with AU to apply for a spot on the Alumni Board, saying “You’ll represent our more than 130,000 alumni around the world during this dynamic time at the university. It's an exciting time to be an Eagle!”
To nominate yourself or a fellow alumnus/a, submit an application online by Wednesday, September 18. Contact Raina Lenney, assistant vice president of alumni relations, at firstname.lastname@example.org or Amy Lampert, chair of the nominations and governance committee, at email@example.com with questions.