Still Have Questions?

If your question is not addressed here, please contact the CAS Graduate Enrollment Office at 202-885-3620 or

Admissions and application

CAS uses a rolling admissions process, though some graduate programs have set deadlines. Please check the requirements to see if there is a specific deadline to the program you are applying to. Also, if you are requesting to be considered for a merit award, the priority deadline is February 1 unless otherwise specified.
You can fill out an application online. Your application includes the form itself and all required transcripts, recommendation letters, test scores, writing samples, portfolio, and a statement of purpose. Unofficial transcripts, statement of purpose, and writing sample may be uploaded when you submit the application.
Once you've filled out the online application, submitted it and paid your fee, return to your log in page. You will now have the option to upload your statement of purpose, resume, writing sample and unofficial transcripts. In order to upload transcripts, you must have filled out the "Institutions Attended" section of the application. Recommendation letter requests can be sent through your supplemental documents page.
No, the applicant cannot upload their own recommendation letters. After your application is submitted, you will have the option to send an electronic request to your recommenders. Please remember, unless you fill out the appropriate fields, the Graduate Enrollment Office will not contact your recommenders for you.
Unofficial transcripts are scanned copies the applicant uploads to the application. The department will use unofficial transcripts to review the application. An official transcript must arrive in a sealed envelope from the institution and can be submitted after acceptance of admission.
Some programs admit new students only in the Fall semester. Please check the program to which you are applying in our requirements guide or speak with the chair of the department offering your program.

An admitted student may request to defer his/her enrollment for up to one academic year. For example, if you are admitted for Fall 2015, you may defer your admission to Spring 2016, Summer 2016, or Fall 2016. To request a deferral, please email Kathy Clowery at with the following information:

Your Name
Program you are admitted to
Reason for requesting deferral
Semester to which you would like to defer (up to one year)
Your deferral must be approved by your academic unit's graduate advising faculty or staff member. You will receive confirmation by email.

Once you've been admitted to your program, sign the "Acceptance of Admission" sheet in the packet of information that you received when you are admitted along with a $250 deposit to the Graduate Admissions office. The deposit will hold your place in your program and will be applied toward your tuition. If you want to pay the deposit online, you can set up a student account by following the directions on the Office of Campus Life website.

Test Scores

  • GRE school code: 5007 (no department code)
  • TOEFL code: 5007
  • Praxis code: 5007

The GRE is required for all PhD programs. The certificate programs, MFA programs and some of the master’s programs do not require the GRE. Review the requirements page for your program. GRE test scores are not valid after five years.
Faculty admissions committee members evaluate each graduate application individually weighing your academic experience, your test scores, the supplemental materials you send, and your academic goals. No one factor is given greater emphasis than another nor does any sort of numerical score (GRE or GPA) guarantee admission.
Applicants to teaching programs must earn a passing score on the Praxis Core Academic Skills for Educators. Passing scores (as set by the District of Columbia teaching licensing agency) are Reading 156, Writing 162 and Math 150. Candidates to the Master of Arts in Teaching programs are not required to take the GRE for admission but are required to take the Praxis Core for admission. Additional Praxis tests will be required for completion of the program. To review the licensing procedures for Washington, DC, please see the requirements webpage. Contact the School of Education if you have questions or to inquire about equivalent examinations at

Fees and Financial Aid

Current AU students, AU alumni, McNair scholars, veterans, Peace Corps and AmeriCorps volunteers, participants in sponsored programs with the School of Education (includes City Year, Lab2Class, Teach for America, and The New Teacher Project), and AU employees receive application fee waivers.
Graduate and non-degree students are charged tuition on a per credit basis. For the 2017-18 academic year, tuition is $1,642 per credit (a two-year master's program ranges from 30-39 credits). Full tuition and fee breakdown.
Our financial aid school code is 1434.
Veterans can apply for educational benefits following the steps on the financial aid webpage. Veterans can also apply to the Yellow Ribbon Program to receive additional benefits. If you have further questions, email Valerie Verra at

The College of Arts and Sciences announces its merit awards on a rolling schedule. Merit award recipients will be notified by a letter from the CAS Associate Dean of Academic Affairs sometime between early March and mid-April.

International Students

Coursework at AU's College of Arts and Sciences requires strong skills in the English language. We measure your English proficiency by either (a) your performance on the TOEFL, PTE, and/or IELTS exams, or (b) your educational background. All international students are required to submit official scores from the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), the Pearson Test of English (PTE), or from the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) exam.

Graduate school applicants who have completed a bachelor's or master's degree from an accredited institution in the United States, or in countries* where English is the native language may be exempt from the English-language proficiency test requirement.

*English speaking countries include: UK, Ireland, Scotland, Australia, New Zealand, and Canada (except Quebec).

For more information, please visit our International Applicants page.

Financial documents may be sent after you receive an offer of admission letter, but it is advisable to have bank statements or other documents prepared earlier in the admissions cycle.
Financial assistance for international students is available at American University in the form of merit-based awards only. Most of these merit awards do not cover the full cost of attendance at American University. Funding for merit awards is extremely limited, and competition for these awards is very high. For these reasons, students are encouraged to have supplementary funding from organizations or sponsors to cover books, living expenses, and other miscellaneous expenses. Please see our International Students section for more information and possible funding sources.

Dual-degree and Non-degree Students

Students may take classes in non-degree status before enrolling in a degree program. Non-degree classes carry the same credit and tuition as any degree class. Courses taken in non-degree status may be transferable into a degree program at a later date. Register for a class in non-degree status.

CAS offers a dual-degree program in conjunction with AU 's School of International Service (SIS): the MAT in Teaching: Secondary Education combined with the MA in International Peace and Conflict Resolution. When you complete the program, you will have completed two degrees. You must apply and be accepted into BOTH schools in order to take on graduate study in the dual degree program.