The CAS Academic Advising System
Students entering the College of Arts and Sciences are assigned professional academic counselors based upon their intended majors (see Academic Counseling Team below for complete list). Students who have not indicated a major are assigned counselors based on their last names. Our counselors are available to assist students with any issues related to their academic career at American University. They are also a valuable resource for discovering the many opportunities that AU provides. We recommend you meet with your counselor regularly. Students are required to meet with their counselor at least once per semester to obtain authorization to register for the next term's classes.
In your sophomore or junior year, you should formally declare the majors in which you expect to earn your degrees. (See Declaring majors and minors.) Upon declaring a major, you will be assigned a faculty advisor from among the faculty in the major department. Once you have declared your major, you should obtain authorization to register for classes from your faculty advisor. However, our CAS counselors remain available to you at all levels.
Academic Counseling Team
*Please note that starting February 17th, your counselor will change if you are a student in the following departments; anthropology, environmental studies, health promotion, undecided A-C and undecided D-F
- Marla Boren: Director, Undergraduate Advising, Retention, and Recruitment
- Emily Jones-Green: Assistant Director, Retention and Recruitment
- Tyler Atkins-Mose: anthropology, computer science, audio technology, audio production, physics, chemistry, biochemistry, music, musical theater, theater, undecided students I-K, and students preparing for law school
- Anne Kaiser, Senior Academic Counselor: biology, economics, environmental studies/science, health promotion, and students on AU athletic teams
- Andrea Malamisura: students majoring or intending to major in psychology and public health, undecided students A-C
- Alicia Mandac, Senior Academic Counselor: literature, studio art, art history, graphic design, sociology, women's gender, and sexuality studies, and undecided students R-Z
- Jack Ramsay: history, elementary education, philosophy, religious studies, language and foreign studies, math, statistics, math & econ, American studies, Jewish studies, and undecided students G-H & L-Q
- Emma Morgan: undecided students D-F
- Peer Advisors: firstname.lastname@example.org