The policy governing the coaching of students in languages taught by the Department of World Languages and Cultures was coordinated and approved by the faculty of the department and identifies activities, and assistance coaches may provide while working with students.
Below is a list of areas for coaching services:
SPEAKING & LISTENING
• Conversation practice
• Oral comprehension
• Oral presentation rehearsal
• Review of recorded oral practice
• If students come for help with an oral or written presentation, coaches will ask leading questions and look for general problems (clarity, organization, grammatical points, etc.). The coaching sessions must be language sessions rather than coaches serving as copy editors. The students can then go back on their own to correct the remaining errors.
WRITING / STRUCTURAL
• Review of grammatical concepts
• If students come for help with workbook or grammar exercises, coaches will start them with one or two examples and only go over major concepts of the exercise.
• Collaborative review of completed homework exercises
• Any exercises or homework assignment must be completed or a reasonable attempt at completion must be apparent.