- Languages Spoken
- English, Russian, ... and SAS
STAT-427 Statistical Machine Learning
STAT-422 Advanced Biostatistics
STAT-520 Applied Multivariate Analysis
Probability and Statistics for Computer Scientists, by Michael Baron (426 pp.) Chapman & Hall / CRC, Boca Raton, FL, 2007. ISBN 1584886412.
Its 2nd edition (473 pp.). Chapman & Hall / CRC, Boca Raton, FL, 2013. ISBN 1439875901.
Bourdieu’s Demon. Volume 1: Strategies of the Upper Middle Class in the Information Age, by Richard Baker and Michael Baron (292 pp.) CreateSpace Publishing, North Charleston, SC, 2012. ISBN 147826974X.
M. Baron. Asymptotically Pointwise Optimal Change Detection in Multiple Channels, Sequential Analysis: forthcoming, 2014.
X. Yu, M. Baron, and P. Choudhary. Change-Point Detection in Binomial Thinning Processes, with Applications in Epidemiology, Sequential Analysis 32 (3), 350-367, 2013.
S. De and M.Baron. Step-up and step-down methods for testing multiple hypotheses in sequential experiments, J. of Stat. Planning and Inference 142: 2059-2070, 2012.
S. Suzuki and M.Baron. Construction of the optimal sequential plan for testing a treatment for an adverse effect, Sequential Analysis 30 (3): 261-279, 2011.
M. Baron, A. Takken, E. Yashchin, and M. Lanzerotti. Modeling and Forecasting of Defect-Limited Yield in Semiconductor Manufacturing. IEEE Transactions on Semiconductor Manufacturing, 21(4), 614-624, 2008.
C. Schmegner and M.Baron. Sequential Plans and Risk Evaluation. Sequential Analysis, 26(4), 335--354, 2007.
C. Schmegner and M.Baron. Principles of optimal sequential planning. Sequential Analysis, 23(1), 11--32, 2004.
M.Baron. Bayes stopping rules in a change-point model with a random hazard rate. Sequential Analysis, 20 (3), 147-163, 2001.
M.Baron, C. K. Lakshminarayan, and Z. Chen. Markov random fields in pattern recognition for semiconductor manufacturing. Technometrics, 43 (1), 66-72, 2001.
M.Baron. Nonparametric adaptive change-point estimation and on-line detection. Sequential Analysis, 19 (12), 1-23, 2000.
M.Baron. On statistical inference under asymmetric loss functions. Statistics & Decisions, 18 (4), 367-388, 2000.
- Sequential analysis and optimal sequential designs
- Change-point estimation and on-line detection
- Multiple comparisons
- Bayesian Inference
- Application of statistics in epidemiology, clinical trials, semiconductor manufacturing, actuarial science, energy finance, and cyber security
Honors, Awards, and Fellowships
- Fellow of the American Statistical Association (2013)“For outstanding contributions to the theory and applications of sequential analysis and change-point problems, excellence in teaching and mentoring of doctoral students, dissemination of statistical knowledge via book authorship, and promotion of statistical research in diverse areas of industry.”
- Regents’ Outstanding Teaching Award (2014)
- Abraham Wald Prize for the best paper in the Journal of Sequential Analysis (2007)
- Associate Editor of Sequential Analysis
- Invited Technometrics paper of 2001
Grants and Sponsored Research
- Project: Statistical methods for gaining precision in credibility estimation (PI). Sponsor: Actuarial Foundation, Individual Grants Competition.
- Project: ATD: Efficient online detection based on multiple sensors, with applications to cybersecurity and discovery of biological threats (PI). Sponsor: National Science Foundation, Mathematical Sciences